Steve Hurdle is a partner in the Corporate & Financial Services Department and the Entertainment Transactions Practice. His practice is focused on advising clients in the media, entertainment and technology industries on their most sophisticated transactions. Steve advises investors and companies on mergers and acquisitions, strategic relationships and joint ventures, and equity offerings at all stages.
With a diverse corporate background leading business combinations, equity financings and complex joint ventures for clients in a variety of industries, Steve has developed particular experience helping entertainment companies, sources of capital and entertainers in business formation, fundraising, investing, and business purchase and sale transactions. He has represented numerous buyers and sellers of scripted and unscripted television production companies in cross-border transactions and regularly provides cutting-edge counsel to clients at the forefront of the entertainment industry.
Steve also advises innovative technology startups and their founders and investors, and has extensive experience working with entrepreneurs creating new digital media technologies that disrupt the way content is created, consumed, and monetized.
Prior to joining Willkie, Steve was a partner and deputy chair of the Capital Markets & Corporate Department at Loeb & Loeb LLP.
His experience includes the following representative transactions*:
*Steve advised on these matters prior to joining Willkie in 2022.
- Represented Natalka Znak, a multi-award winning TV producer who has created some of TV's biggest hits such as Hell's Kitchen, I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, and international hit format Love Island, in the sale of her reality TV production company, ZnakTV
- Represented Station 6 Productions in connection with its partnership with Blue Ant Studios to develop and produce non-scripted series and premium documentaries
- Represented Sneaker Con, a leading sneaker authenticator, in the sale of its sneaker authentication business to eBay
- Represented Benny and Rafi Fine, the founders of React Media, whose popular YouTube franchises built around reaction videos include React, People vs. Food (formerly Replay) and Try Not To, in the sale of React Media to Electric Monster Media
- Represented ReserveBar, the established leader in premium spirits ecommerce, in its acquisition of Minibar and related capital raising transactions
- Advised M ss ng P eces in its sale to Tribeca Enterprises, the parent entity of the Tribeca Film Festival
- Provided transactional advice and guidance in connection with Element Partners, LLC’s acquisition of the poker-related business and assets, including the entities comprising the World Poker Tour, from Allied Esports Entertainment
- Represented media executive David Nathanson in connection with his investment in Game Taco, a premier skill-based mobile platform that enables gamers to compete for fun and cash prizes, and Game Taco’s acquisition of WorldWinner, a pioneer in skill-based offerings
- Advised SuperDraft, Inc. in its common stock investment from Caesars
- Represented Kyocera Corporation, one of the world’s leading suppliers of industrial and automotive components, semiconductor packages, electronic devices, smart energy systems, printers, copiers and mobile phones, in its acquisition of SLD Laser
- Represented media mogul Elisabeth Murdoch in her launch of Sister, a global production and development company
- Advised Sister, an independent global studio, in connection with investments in SpingHill Entertainment, Zando, Artists, Writers & Artisans, among other companies
- Represented Charlie Brooker and Annabel Jones, creators of groundbreaking television series “Black Mirror,” and their company, Broke and Bones Studios, in a transaction with Netflix
- Represented unscripted television producer Blackfin in its sale to Entertainment One
- Represented investors in a $46 million financing round for video game developer Cloud Imperium Games
- Represented David Raysse, founder of athletic footwear company BRANDBLACK, in the acquisition of the assets of BRANDBLACK from Skechers
- Represented New York-based nonscripted production company Big Fish Entertainment, creator of Live PD, in its sale to MGM