Alan Epstein is a partner in the Corporate & Financial Services Department and chair of the firm’s Entertainment Transactions Practice. Alan focuses on business transactions for public and private companies principally in the entertainment and media industry, including mergers and acquisitions, financing transactions, joint ventures, licensing matters and executive compensation. He also represents production companies and studios, celebrities, professional athletes, musicians, content creators, public personalities and influencers in connection with their business activities and transactions.
Alan advised on the following significant matters*:
- Represented Spyglass Media Group in connection with the 2021 sale of over 200 feature film titles to Lionsgate and the creation of a strategic content partnership.
- Represented Ryan Reynolds’ creative marketing agency Maximum Effort Marketing in connection with the 2021 sale to performance television platform Mountain Digital (MNTN).
- Represented numerous high profile celebrities, musicians and influencers in connection with complex business transactions, including sweat equity partnerships, brand ambassador and endorsement deals, financing transactions and the launch of consumer facing brands, across a variety of industries including cosmetics/beauty, apparel, distilled spirits and tech platforms.
- Represented numerous prominent producers and directors of entertainment content in connection with financing transactions and mergers and acquisitions with entertainment studios and streaming platforms.
- Represented numerous songwriters and musicians in connection with the sale of music publishing catalogs, and companies acquiring music libraries and other intellectual property assets.
- Represented numerous talent management companies in connection with complex business transactions, including the representation of management and production company 3 Arts Entertainment in the sale of a controlling interest to Lionsgate in 2018.
*Alan advised on these matters prior to joining Willkie in September 2021.