Andres Mena is a partner in the Corporate & Financial Services Department and Co-Chair of the Finance Department. With over two decades of experience, he concentrates his practice on complex debt financing transactions, with special focus on private equity matters. Andres represents private equity funds, portfolio companies, corporate borrowers and lenders in a wide variety of domestic and cross-border transactions, direct and syndicated debt financing deals, restructuring matters and energy transactions. These include LBOs and acquisition financings, recapitalizations, out-of-court workouts, and DIP financings.
Andres has been widely recognized as a leader in his field by various legal ranking guides and publications, including Chambers Global for both Banking & Finance and Capital Markets: Debt & Equity (Foreign Experts) and as "Highly Regarded" by the IFLR1000. He was profiled as a leading practitioner in Diario Financiero, Santiago de Chile, and featured in Latin Lawyer’s “Global Positioning” feature.
Andres advised on the following selected significant matters*:
Selected Sponsor Side Representations
- Albright Capital in its acquisition of Innovatel, LLC, a Latin America telecom tower business.
- Cerberus in its dividend recap with a margin loan secured by Avon stock.
- CVC Partners in its acquisition of Univar N.V.
- GI Partners in its recapitalizations of Netsmart, Inc. and Flexential Inc.
- HIG Capital in its acquisition of Jackson Paper.
- Lincolnshire Management in the acquisitions of True Temper, National Pen Co., High Performance Industries, among others.
- Madison Dearborn Partners in its acquisition of Liquid Web.
- Metalmark Capital Partners in its acquisitions of Northeast Natural Energy, LLC and Jones Energy.
- Redwood Capital in its acquisition of Premier Trailer.
- Sagard Capital in its acquisition in a 363 sale of Performance Sports Group.
- Sithe Global Power (an affiliate of The Blackstone Group) in the financing of power plants in the Philippines and Uganda.
Selected Lender Side Representations
- Jefferies in numerous acquisition financings (ranging US$350 million and US$2.0 billion) sponsored by:
- Golden Gate Capital,
- Sun Capital,
- Thoma Bravo.
- RBC, Macquarie and UBS, in acquisition financings (ranging US$80 million and US$250 million) sponsored by:
- AE Partners,
- Greenbriar Equity.
- Jefferies Finance LLC, KKR Capital Markets LLC, The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited, Sydney Branch and MUFG Bank LTD., with respect to the financing of KKR's $2.2 billion acquisition of Campbell Soup's international operations, including Arnott's biscuits.
- Brightwood Capital in its financing of the acquisition by Apax of The Herjavec Group and Coalfire Systems, Inc.
Selected Corporate Borrower Side Representations
- PBF Energy, Inc. and its affiliates, in a variety of secured and structured financings, in excess of US$15 billion.
- NRG Energy, Inc. and its affiliates, in a variety of secured financings in excess of US$25 billion.
- NRG Energy, Inc. in its US$5.75 billion acquisition of Texas Genco.
- Chobani, LLC in its US$750 million financing by TPG.
- Mercado Libre Inc. (Latin America's leading e-commerce platform) in multiple cross-border warehouse financings in the Brazilian and Mexican markets.
- Copamex S.A. de C.V. (Mexico's leading paper producer) in its US$250 million recapitalization.
- Blink Fitness in its US$125 million secured financing provided by Varagon Capital and other lenders.
- Texas Competitive Energy Holdings in its $4.475 billion DIP facility as part of its Chapter 11.
- Creditors to NII Nextel Telefonica S.C.A. in a $350 million DIP Facility (Restructuring (U.S.) Deal of 2016).
- Chilean Unsecured Bondholders representing approx. USD$500m of claims against LATAM Airlines Group S.A. as part of LATAM’s Chapter 11.
- Charming Charlie LLC in its Chapter 11 cases.
- Eagle Hospitality, a Singapore REIT in its Chapter 11 case including its $100m DIP facility.
- Sagard Capital in a $375 million Chapter 11 exit financing for Performance Sports Group.
* Andres advised on these matters prior to joining Willkie.
Prior to joining Willkie in 2021, Andres was a partner at Kirkland & Ellis LLP, where he spent more than 15 years of his career. Subsequently he was a partner at Paul Hastings LLP.
Andres was a member of the Board of Directors of the North American-Chilean Chamber of Commerce.
Andres is a frequent speaker on financing and restructuring topics.
- "Chapter 11 or Brazilian Companies in the USA: An introduction to the Main Aspects of Chapter 11 for Creditors and Debtors" (2020)
- "What is Chapter 11? Insolvency Regulation in the United States and its effect on Latin American Companies" (2020)
- "Trends and Insights in the Latin American Market in Light of Covid-19" (2020)
- "Casos Prácticos sobre Restructuraciones Financieras" (Practical Examples on Financial Restructurings), Morales & Besa, Larrain Vial and Greenhill & Co. event, Santiago de Chile (2017)
- "Overview of the M&A Market in Latin America," IBA Conference, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2017
- "Drafting Debt Agreements," Practicing Law Institute, New York City (January 6, 2010)
- "Drafting Debt Agreements," Practicing Law Institute, New York City (January 7, 2009)