Matthew S. Makover is an associate in the Intellectual Property Department of Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP in New York. Matthew's focus includes intellectual property transactions and counseling. Matthew has advised on intellectual property matters involving the sale and licensing of software, patents, trademarks and copyrights (including media content) and has experience with both private and public mergers and acquisitions, financings and capital market transactions. Matthew also has experience structuring and negotiating project and commercial agreements. Matthew has worked with a number of clients in the software, entertainment, media, consumer products, manufacturing, telecommunications, gaming and fashion industries.
Matthew has advised on the following significant matters:*
- KIK Custom Products in:
- its acquisition by affiliates of Centerbridge Partners; and
- connection with a long-term licensing arrangement with The Clorox Company for the use of the CLOROX® brand on pool-cleaning products.
- Spectrum Brands, in its $1.4 billion acquisition of Armored AutoGroup Parent, Inc., a Connecticut-based consumer products company consisting primarily of the Armor All and STP brands.
- Citigroup, Inc. in the sale of:
- its retail banking business in Japan, including about 740,000 customer accounts, to Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation; and
- Citi Cards Japan, Inc., a Japan-based issuer of branded credit cards, to Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation.
- Ericsson in its acquisition of MetraTech, a Massachusetts-based provider of metadata-based billing, commerce and settlement solutions.
*Matthew advised on these matters prior to joining Willkie.