Jared Fertman is a partner in the Corporate & Financial Services Department of Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP in New York.
Jared focuses his practice on private equity, venture capital and family officer transactions, activist matters, mergers and acquisitions, restructurings and joint ventures.
In the area of private equity, venture capital and family office matters, Jared has represented:
- Carrix in a growth-oriented investment by funds affiliated with Blackstone Infrastructure Partners
- Access Industries in connection with its acquisition, along with affiliates of Apollo Global Management, LLC and Riverstone Holdings, LLC, of all of the exploration and production assets of El Paso Corporation for approximately $7.15 billion
- Access Industries in connection with its minority investment in, and subsequent acquisition of, the Israeli conglomerate Clal Industries in a transaction valuing Clal at NIS 2.55 billion
- Access Industries in connection with its venture capital investments in: Alibaba, Square, TangoMe, Loxo Oncology, Snapchat, Digital Ocean, Opendoor, Yelp and 58.com
- Access Industries in connection with its acquisition and development of the Faena District, which includes two hotels, two residential towers, an arts forum, parking and retail space stretching 6 blocks in Miami, Florida
- Access Industries and affiliates of Christopher Burch in connection with their equity position in Tory Burch LLC
- Warburg Pincus in connection with numerous transactions including: the leveraged buyout of Total Safety, the investment in Protox Therapeutics, the recapitalization of Builders FirstSource, the sale of a minority interest in Netlogic Microsystems, the acquisition of Multi-View, Inc., the sale of a controlling interest in Chart-One Inc. and the related spinout of eWebhealth Inc., and the acquisition of Adlens Beacon
- Insight Venture Partners in connection with its investments in Storagepoint Technologies, Teamviewer Inc., Metalogix Software and PAMSoft Software
- Willett Advisors in connection with several venture capital investments
- Two multi-billion dollar family offices in connection with their investment in an international aircraft leasing company
Jared is a key member of Willkie’s activist practice. He has recently represented a number of prominent activist investors in several high-profile activist campaigns and counsels corporations assessing activist defenses. Jared has represented:
- Third Point in connection with its proxy contest and settlement agreement with Campbell Soup Company
- Icahn Enterprises and Carl Icahn in the proxy contest with SandRidge Energy in opposition to the now terminated combination with Bonanza Creek, and later in connection with Icahn’s proxy context for control of board of directors of SandRidge
- Sarissa Capital in connection with a variety activist matters including the proxy contest and related litigation with Innoviva Inc.
- New Mountain Ventures in a variety of activist matters
Jared has represented the following parties in mergers and acquisition matters:
- Deutsche Bank Asset Management in the sale of its US Private Equity Access Fund Platform to iCapital Network
- CMA CGM in the sale to affiliates of EQT Partners of a 90 percent stake in APL Limited, whose wholly owned subsidiary, Eagle Marine Services, Ltd., operates Global Gateway South, a leading container terminal in the Port of Los Angeles
- Sarissa Capital Management, the largest shareholder of ARIAD Pharmaceuticals, in connection with ARIAD’s agreement to be acquired by Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited for approximately $5.2 billion
Jared has represented the following parties in restructuring matters:
- Aegerion Pharmaceuticals in its pending strategic review, including in connection with its $72 million secured financings with affiliates of Highbridge Capital and Athyrium Capital
- Total Safety U.S., Inc. in connection with its out-of-court-restructuring
- Access Industries in connection with the restructuring of Boomerang Tube
- Spheris Inc. in connection with its chapter 11 bankruptcy and section 363 sale
- Platinum Equity and other bondholders in connection with an out-of-court debt-to-equity exchange by Keystone Automotive
In the area of joint ventures, Jared has represented:
- Carrix Inc. in connection with the pending development of container terminal in Europe
- Carrix Inc. in connection with the development of a liquid hydrocarbon facility in Tuxpan Mexico with affiliates of KKR
- Carrix Inc. in connection with its joint venture with NYK and Matson in the Port of Oakland
- Carrix, Inc. in connection with the proposed development of the Gateway Pacific Terminal
- AREA Property Partners in connection with the investment by, and joint venture with, the National Bank of Australia
* Jared advised on some of these matters while at a prior firm.
Following law school, Jared clerked for the Honorable Legrome D. Davis in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. Jared was an associate at Willkie from 2007 until 2011. Prior to rejoining Willkie in 2017, he was the vice president and associate general counsel of Access Industries, Inc., the international industrial holding company and family office founded by Len Blavatnik.