Gregory B. Astrachan is a partner in the Corporate & Financial Services Department and Co-Chair of the firm's Capital Markets Practice Group. From 2001 to 2007, Greg was the managing partner of Willkie’s London office. Greg has broad international corporate and securities law experience, including representing U.S. and international corporate, private equity and investment banking clients in mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings, joint ventures, and private equity transactions. Greg regularly represents corporations and their boards on governance matters.
Chambers USA (2022) ranks Greg among the leading individuals practicing Corporate/M&A Law in New York.
Greg’s representative M&A transactions include:
Greg’s securities underwriter representations include numerous debt and equity offerings for Credit Suisse, BAML, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and UBS across a broad range of industries. Greg’s representative capital markets transactions include advising
- Fortis in its $18.8 billion rights issue, one of the largest ever equity offerings
- Royal & SunAlliance in multiple capital markets transactions including its ₤960 million rights issue
- Zurich Financial Services in its $2.5 billion rights issue
- The underwriters in the $3.0 billion equity and hybrid debt financing for Swiss Re’s acquisition of GE Insurance Solution
- Credit Suisse in the aborted $10 billion spin-off and IPO of its insurance business, Winterthur Swiss Insurance Company.
- Converium Holdings in its $2.0 billion spin-off and IPO
Greg’s private equity representations include transactions for Aquiline, Candover, 3i, Bridgepoint, and Warburg, Pincus & Co.
Greg is a member of the American Bar Association and the International Bar Association, where he is vice-chair officer of the Securities Law Committee. He has lectured at the IBA and at the Practicing Law Institute and is an annual contributor to The Business Lawyer’s "Annual Review of Federal Securities Regulation."