Faustine Viala is a partner in the Antitrust & Competition Practice Group. Faustine has experience in European and French competition law. Her main areas of practice encompass merger control, anticompetitive practices (anticompetitive agreements and abuse of dominant position) and distribution law. Faustine advises French and international companies mainly active in the fields of media, sports, chemical industry, aeronautic, cosmetics and telecoms, focusing both on counseling and litigation.
A native French speaker, Faustine is also fluent in English.
Faustine has advised:
Litigation Before Competition Authorities
- Naval Group before both the FCA and the Conseil d’Etat in connection with the clearing of the creation of a joint venture between Naval Group and Piriou
- Essilor in relation to a dawn raid by French competition authorities for alleged abuse of dominant position and collusion aiming at refusing to sell optics to internet players
- France Telecom/Orange in an abuse of dominant position matter brought by Internet transit provider Cogent before the Paris Court of Appeal, which rejected all of Cogent’s claims
- France Telecom/Orange before the French Competition Authority against Outremer Télécom for an alleged cartel and abuse of dominant position case and obtained victory
- Reed Midem (Reed Elsevier group) in different matters before French courts, notably in the context of unfair competition actions, and obtained victory
- Sportfive (Lagardère group) before the French Competition Authority in the context of an alleged cartel and abuse of dominant position case
- Disney before the French Competition Authority in the context of an alleged cartel case
- Amaury Group in a case relating to alleged abuse of dominant position against a new entrant before the French Competition Authority and obtained victory before the Court of Appeal, which quashed the French Antitrust Authority’s decision to inspect Amaury’s Group premises
- IK Investment Partners, through its IK VII Fund, in its agreement to sell Cérélia to Ardian
- Arkema on the contemplated sale of its Functional Polyolefins business to SK Global Chemical
- Latour Capital on its investment in the Primonial group, a major player in the design, management and advice on investment solutions in France
- Sagard in its acquisition of Sterimed, a leading manufacturer of sterile packaging for the pharmaceutical industry, from Meeschaert Capital Partners
- CMA CGM on the acquisition of Container Finance’s container shipping and logistics business Containerships
- PAI Partners in its agreement to acquire StellaGroup, a market leader in the production of doors, gates, shutters and enclosures for industrial and residential buildings in France, from ICG.
- IK Investment Partners in its acquisition, through its IK Small Cap I Fund, of Domia Group, owner of Acadomia, owner of Acadomia (the number one French player in the private tutoring market) and Shiva (the fast-growing French home cleaning provider), from Metric Capital Partners
- IK Investment Partners in connection with its contemplated acquisition, through its IK VIII Fund, of a majority stake in Mademoiselle Desserts, a French leader in the frozen bakery industry
- CMA CGM on its contemplated acquisition of an approximate 25% stake in CEVA Logistics AG
- La Martinière Groupe and its main shareholders in connection with the combination with Média-Participations creating the third-largest publishing group in France
- Arkema with regards to the acquisition of the whole adhesives business of Total SA (Bostik France)
- Thales as an interested third party before the European Commission in the context of the Airbus/Safran joint venture
- Thales with regards to the acquisition of Connect in the United States
- Arkema in its acquisition of the photocures and coatings businesses of Total’s resin division
- France Telecom Orange in its procurement joint venture with Deutsche Telekom
- Lagardère, its subsidiary Aélia and Aéroports de Lyon in their joint venture process
- Perstorp in its joint venture with PTT Global Chemical
- PAI partners in the €1.6 billion sale of its interests in Yoplait to General Mills
- Gaz de France in its $159 billion merger with Suez (handled merger review process before the European Commission and coordinated numerous merger review filings throughout the world)
Prior to joining Willkie in 2006, Faustine was an associate at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in Paris.
In 2005, she completed a six-month secondment within the legal department of Michelin. Faustine also completed a nine-month secondment in the antitrust team of Willkie’s New York office.
Faustine has published numerous articles on competition and distribution law and more recently:
- Nouveau contrôle des concentrations transfrontalières: les recommandations de l'Autorité de la concurrence française (Magazine des Affaires)
- Nouvelle Etape dans l’atteinte au secret de l’instruction (Les Echos)
- La notion de déséquilibre significatif, à ne pas négliger dans la rédaction des contrats de distribution (Option Droit et Affaires)