Jeffrey R. Poss is a partner in the Corporate & Financial Services Department, Co-Chair of the Private Equity Practice Group and a member of the firm's Executive Committee. He focuses on private equity and venture capital transactions, and mergers and acquisitions involving public and private companies. His vast experience spans multiple industries, with a particular focus on the financial services, Fintech and technology/media/telecom sectors. Jeff regularly advises senior management and boards of directors of both public and privately held entities on strategic and corporate governance matters. He practiced in the firm's London office for several years handling cross-border transactions.
Jeff is often recognized as one of the leading private equity and M&A practitioners in the United States. He is consistently recognized by Chambers USA and Chambers Global (Private Equity Buyouts, United States), Chambers FinTech and Legal 500. Additionally, he was named “Private Equity Adviser of the Year” at The Deal Middle Market Awards in 2020, and shortlisted for the same honor at The Deal Awards US in 2019 and 2021.
Jeff's recent representative transactions include advising:
- Genstar Capital in its investment in Cerity Partners, a leading independent wealth management firm
- Orion Advisor Solutions in its announced acquisition of TownSquare Capital, a boutique, full-service investment and trading platform
- Orion Advisor Solutions in its announced acquisition of Redtail Technology, a leading web-based CRM software firm serving the wealth management industry
- Genstar Capital in its acquisition of ACA Group
- Aquiline Capital Partners in its majority investment in Distinguished Programs, a national insurance program manager
- Aquiline Capital Partners in its acquisition of a majority shareholding in CHEOPS TECHNOLOGY
- Gemini13, a media services and audio content production company, in its acquisitions of Infinite Agency and Phantom Producer, and in the formation of a joint venture with Diversion Media & Communications for the production of podcasts
- Investment management company Brinker Capital in its merger with Orion Advisor Solutions
- Apex Fund Services in the equity investments by each of TA Associates, Carlyle and Mubadala Investment Company in Apex, a Genstar portfolio company
- Cetera Financial Group, a Genstar portfolio company, in its acquisition of the independent financial planning channel of Voya Financial Advisors
- Digital wealth management company Personal Capital in its acquisition by Empower Retirement, one of the country's largest retirement services providers
- Institutional Shareholder Services (ISS), a Genstar portfolio company, in its sale to Deutsche Börse
- Sphera, a leading provider of ESG software, data, and consulting services and portfolio company of Genstar Capital, in its sale to Blackstone
- Foreside Financial Group, a portfolio company of Genstar Capital, in its acquisitions of ACA Group and Alaric Compliance Services
- Genstar Capital in its acquisition of Foreside Financial Group
- Aquiline Capital Partners in its acquisition of Xact Data Discovery, and the subsequent merger of eDiscovery companies Xact and Consilio
- Aquiline Capital Partners in its acquisition of SurePoint Technologies, a leading cloud provider of practice management solutions to law firms
- Aquiline Capital Partners in its acquisition of SageView Advisory Group, a registered investment advisory firm
- Simplicity Group in its sale by Aquiline Capital Partners and management to Lee Equity Partners
- Aquiline Capital Partners in the acquisitions of CodeBlue and MADSKY, two industry leaders in the management of interior and exterior damage assessment and repair for insurance property claims, and subsequent combination to create Accuserve
- Genstar Capital and Mercer Advisors in connection with Mercer's recapitalization and the acquisition of an equity stake in Mercer by Oak Hill Capital, and Mercer in several acquisitions including Kanaly Trust
- OEConnection, a Genstar portfolio company, in its acquisition of Overall Parts Solutions (OPS)
- Ascensus in its acquisition by Aquiline Capital Partners and Genstar Capital from J.C. Flowers, and in its subsequent sale to Stone Point Capital and GIC
- Apex Fund Services, a Genstar Capital portfolio company, in:
- the acquisition of BRL Trust Investimentos, a leading independent fund administrator in Brazil
- the acquisition and financing of Tzur Capital Management Ltd.
- the acquisition of Banco Modal's Alternative Fund Administration business in Brazil (MAF)
- the acquisition of the corporate and private clients business of Link Asset Services, a division of the Australian-listed Link Group
- Virtus Partners, a credit-based alternatives fund solutions provider and portfolio company of Aquiline Capital Partners, in connection with its sale to FIS
Jeff is a member of the American Bar Association and the New York State Bar Association.
Jeff currently serves, and in the past has served, on several boards and advisory councils at The University of Pennsylvania, including his most recent appointment to the Penn Institute for Urban Research Advisory Board. Additionally, he was a longtime member of the advisory board of the David Rubenstein Atrium at Lincoln Center, and serves as the relationship partner for Willkie's pro bono representation of Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts.