Christopher J. Peters is a partner and Chair of the Tax Department. He advises U.S. and non-U.S. clients on the tax aspects of structuring and implementing taxable and tax-free mergers, acquisitions, spin-offs, leveraged buy-outs and joint ventures. Chris also provides tax advice on capital markets transactions and regularly advises private equity funds and their investors on their investments and fund-related matters.
Chris is ranked as a leading practitioner of Tax Law in New York by Chambers USA (2018) and is recognized by The Best Lawyers in America for Tax Law.
Chris worked on the following significant matters:
- Tornier N.V., a designer, manufacturer and marketer of joint replacement devices, in its $3.3 billion merger with Wright Medical Group, Inc.
- Aviva plc’s $1.8 billion sale of its U.S. business.
- Aberdeen Asset Management’s acquisition of Artio Global Investors, Inc.
- Allstate’s sale of Lincoln Benefit Life to Resolution Life Holdings, Inc. for approximately $785m.
- Represented AREA Property Partners in its acquisition by Ares Management.
- Represented Level 3 Communications in its $3 billion acquisition of Global Crossing Ltd.
- Pearl Theraputics in its $1.15b sale to AstraZeneca
- Men’s Wearhouse in its acquisition of Joseph Abboud.
- Warburg Pincus, Insight Venture Partners, Aquiline Capital Partners and Friedman Fleischer & Lowe on numerous acquisitions and dispositions of their portfolio companies.
- Teva Pharmaceuticals on its acquisitions of IVAX Corporation ($7.4 billion) and Barr Pharmaceuticals ($8.9 billion).
- Hallmark Cards, Inc. on its $1.162b debt recapitalization.
- Level 3 Communications in numerous acquisitions and divestures, including its acquisitions of:
- Global Crossing Ltd ($3b)
- Broadwing Corporation ($1.4b)
- TelCove, Inc. ($1.1b)
Chris is a member of the New York State Bar Association Section of Taxation.