Andrew English is a partner in the Litigation Department representing corporations and individuals in a variety of criminal and civil investigations and enforcement actions, including enforcement actions brought by the Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). He has significant experience conducting worldwide internal and government-facing investigations. He regularly counsels clients on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and anti-corruption due diligence and the development of compliance programs, policies, and trainings. He has represented corporations and individuals in a variety of industries, including pharmaceutical, telecommunications, entertainment, clean energy, oil and gas, accounting, investment management, medical devices, automotive, insurance, and technology companies. Andrew also represents clients in general commercial litigation, and he maintains an active pro bono practice.
Andrew was recognized in the 2022 and 2023 editions of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Criminal Defense: White-Collar.
Andrew has advised on the following significant matters:
- Represented an executive of a medical device company in a DOJ investigation of potential False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Statute violations.
- Represented a Big Four accounting firm and firm professionals in an SEC investigation related to a packaging company’s financial statements.
- Represented a professional sports organization in DOJ and SEC investigations of potential FCPA, U.S. sanctions, and U.S. immigration law violations.
- Represented an asset manager in an SEC investigation of the valuations of certain private companies.
- Represented employees of a clean fuels technology company in an SEC investigation of alleged FCPA violations and securities fraud.
- Represented an executive of a global automobile manufacturer in an investigation by the DOJ.
- Represented a multinational pharmaceutical company in DOJ and SEC investigations of alleged FCPA violations in numerous countries, including internal investigations in Europe, the Middle East, and the Commonwealth of Independent States.
- Represented a multinational telecommunications company in DOJ and SEC investigations of alleged FCPA violations.
- On behalf of a Fortune 500 entertainment company, conducted multiple internal investigations and continue to counsel the company regularly on anti-corruption due diligence for acquisitions, joint ventures, and engagements of third parties.
- Represented a major chemical manufacturer in a multi-million dollar arbitration regarding a dispute over purchases of electricity, obtaining a favorable settlement.
- Represented a Big Four accounting firm in a mediation for a breach of contract dispute.
- Represented the plaintiff in Rich v. Butowsky, a defamation litigation challenging viral online conspiracy theories, achieving a successful settlement and retractions by the defendants.
- Represented pro bono an individual charged with felonies in connection with a march protesting the inauguration of President Donald Trump, obtaining a dismissal of all charges.
- Represented pro bono defendants appealing their criminal convictions to the Maryland Court of Special Appeals.