Matt D. Basil is a partner in the firm's Litigation Department. He is regularly called upon by Fortune 500 companies for help with a wide array of commercial disputes, particularly complex contract, antitrust, financial and fraud litigation. He has tried a number of cases in federal and state courts and represented clients in numerous arbitration proceedings.
Matt also advises public and private corporations on internal investigations, board matters, and employment issues, among other matters. He served as one of the leaders in the representation of the Board of Directors of United Airlines in connection with the investigation of the so-called “Chairman’s Flight.” Matt also maintains an active pro bono practice, which has included a range of civil and criminal matters.
Chambers USA (2022) recognizes Matt as among the leading practitioners in the area of General Commercial Litigation in Illinois and states that Matt “is an excellent litigator who can explain complex matters to clients" and "he is well prepared, patient, and courteous to all in the courtroom."
Matt handles a wide array of commercial disputes and internal investigations for Fortune 500 companies, with particular emphasis on complex contract, financial and fraud litigation. His representative matters include*:
- Representation of a large publishing client in a $90 million qui tam action brought under the False Claims Act.
- Representation of an affiliate of a major telecommunications provider in a civil RICO claim brought by the affiliate, where the telecommunications provider purchased the affiliate for $1.3 billion following a two-week bench trial.
- Representation, including at a week-long preliminary injunction hearing, of a global consulting company against a competitor’s efforts to obtain injunctive relief barring the consulting company from selling a product.
- Representation of a global company in a significant internal investigation following notification from the United States Department of Justice.
- Representation through trial of a large, international client in a multi-million dollar lawsuit involving claims for both damages and injunctive relief in connection with the mass resignation of numerous employees across multiple of the client’s offices.
- Representation of a major telecommunications company in a nine-figure arbitration hearing involving multiple breach of contract claims brought by a former independent contractor of the telecommunications company.
- Representation of a global retailer in a series of class action antitrust lawsuits.
- Representation of a large, international client in a class action alleging breaches of fiduciary duty and seeking damages related to a multi-billion dollar defined benefit plan.
- Representation of the supplier of a large, international home goods company in a multi-million dollar matter in which home goods company sought both damages and injunctive relief against the supplier.
- Representation of a start-up telecommunications company in trials before multiple state regulatory commissions in matters initiated by a competitor.
- Representation, including at trial, of a slot machine manufacturer in a civil trial arising out of damages suffered in connection with Hurricane Katrina.
* Matt advised on these matters prior to joining Willkie.
Prior to joining Willkie, Matt was a partner at another major law firm.