Jared Bartie is a partner in the Corporate & Financial Services Department and chair of the firm’s Sports Transactions Practice. A sports industry veteran, Jared represents domestic and international clients on an array of complex matters, including professional sports team investments, stadium and arena transactions, facility naming rights and sponsorship transactions, and complex media rights agreements. His clients have included the Portland Trail Blazers, Utah Jazz, Brooklyn Nets, Detroit Pistons, Dallas Cowboys, Minnesota Vikings, Under Armour, Legends, Pac-12 Conference, USA Track & Field, USA Volleyball, Washington Convention and Sports Authority and City of Atlanta and Fulton County Recreation Authority.
Jared is also a leading lawyer in the esports industry. He advises on team investments, league entry negotiations, corporate sponsorships, player contract discussions, and arena development matters. His deals have involved navigating entry into the top esports leagues, including Activision Blizzard’s Overwatch League and Riot’s North America League of Legends Championship Series.
Prior to joining Willkie in 2022, Jared was a partner and Co-Chair of the Sports Industry Group and Partner Co-Head of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at O’Melveny & Myers LLP.
His significant representations include the following matters:*
- Represented a professional sports team in connection with a highly publicized workplace investigation
- Represented a professional esports league in connection with a publicized work place investigation
- Advised the City of Atlanta and Fulton County Recreation Authority regarding an arena operating agreement and non-relocation agreement in connection with the $192 million State Farm Arena (formerly Philips Arena) renovation project
- Represented LaLiga, the Spanish soccer league, in its joint venture with Relevent Sports to commercialize its media, sponsorship, and licensing rights in North America
- Represented Washington Convention and Sports Authority t/a Events DC on a number of event and sponsorship transactions, including its bid to serve as a host city in connection with FIFA World Cup; a multi-venue pouring rights transaction; a multi-venue ride share transaction; and in connection with Bike DC
- Advised HEAD Sport GmbH in connection with professional athlete endorsement-related matters
- Represented North American Soccer League as counsel to the League and its board of governors regarding corporate and transactional matters
- Represented USA Volleyball in connection with a comprehensive sponsorship and apparel agreement with Adidas
- Represented the National Basketball Association Detroit Pistons regarding a practice facility naming rights transaction with Henry Ford Health Care System
- Represented MP & Silva in a naming rights agency engagement with a US sports and media organization
- Represented Under Armour in a multiyear global sponsorship and apparel transaction with the NBA
- Represented Under Armour in various professional athlete endorsement agreements, as well as professional sports league and college sponsorship agreements
- Represented Pac-12 Conference in connection with various multimedia and commercial transactions
- Represented Major League Soccer DC United, and its majority ownership group, regarding various corporate transactions, including stadium financing related to Audi Stadium
- Represented a lead investor in separate bids to acquire the National Hockey League New Jersey Devils and New York Islanders
- Represented a minority investor group regarding a final round bid to acquire the National Basketball Association Atlanta Hawks
- Represented an investment group regarding the successful bid to acquire the Premier League’s Swansea City A.F.C.
- Advised Larry H. Miller Sports & Entertainment, owner of the National Basketball Association's Utah Jazz, regarding a multiyear arena naming rights transaction with Vivint Smart Home Arena
- Advised the National Basketball Association Portland Trail Blazers regarding a multiyear arena naming rights transaction regarding the Moda Center
- Represented Legends Hospitality in various concessions services, sponsorship and sales and marketing matters
- Represented Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment regarding an arena operations support arrangement with AEG Facilities
- Advised Palace Sports & Entertainment regarding a radio broadcast rights agreement
- Advised USA Track & Field in various commercial matters, including its subscription content streaming platform
- Represented USA Track & Field in negotiations related to operating USA vs the World at the Penn Relays
- Advised the National Football League Minnesota Vikings in connection with a founding partner sponsorship transaction with MillerCoors
- Led the representation of The Washington Justice (formerly Washington Esports Ventures) in connection with entry into Blizzard Entertainment’s Overwatch League
- Represented Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and the Jones family in connection with the Goff family in the acquisition of esports entity, compLexity Gaming
- Represented esports organization, Envy, in connection with its entry into the Blizzard Overwatch League and its Series A, Series B and Series C financings
- Represented FlyQuest and owner Wesley Edens, in its esports launch efforts, including the development of its standard player contract, merchandise arrangement and in connection with intellectual property matters
- Represented FlyQuest, in connection with entry into Riot’s North America League of Legends Championship Series
- Represented Gen. G (previously KSV esports International) in connection with its entry into the Blizzard Overwatch League, and related Series A financing
- Represented Washington Convention and Sports Authority t/a Events DC in connection with an integrated sponsorship transaction with esports team, NRG
- Represented Washington Convention and Sports Authority t/a Events DC in connection with venue hosting and sponsorship agreements regarding Red Bull Conquest
* Jared advised on these matters prior to joining Willkie.
Jared has extensive legal and business experience across the professional sports and entertainment industries. He has served as Chief Legal Officer and General Counsel of the United States Tennis Association (USTA); General Counsel and Chief Administrative Officer of the NBA Charlotte Bobcats; an executive in the National Basketball Association’s Team Marketing and Business Operations group; and Acting Chief Counsel of Productions at Black Entertainment Television.