Elizabeth J. Bower is a partner in the Litigation Department. Liz concentrates her practice on multiparty, multiforum, complex, commercial litigation, as well as significant corporate internal investigations. Liz’s practice focuses on representations of accounting firms and auditors, insurance companies, insurance brokers, audit committees, and other financial institutions and corporations.
Liz’s ability to spot and simplify the important issues has enabled her to successfully represent clients across industries in a variety of disputes and board level risks over her nearly twenty year career, including civil securities actions, accounting and other professional liability actions, various contract and business disputes, adversary proceedings in bankruptcies, SEC enforcement actions, PCAOB investigations, FCPA investigations, and data breach and security response.
Immediately after law school, Liz served as a law clerk for United States District Court Judge Richard L. Voorhees in the Western District of North Carolina.
Liz is a member of the Sedona Conference, Working Group 11 – Data Security and Privacy Liability and its Drafting Team on Data Security and Privacy Issues in Civil Litigation.
Liz is a member of the UNC Law Foundation Board of Directors.
Ms. Bower’s speaking engagements include:
"Penn State Women: Leaders of Today and Tomorrow" (September 2019)
- "Legal/Compliance: Response to Cyber Incidents," ACLI Annual Conference (October 2018)
- "The Future of DACA: Which Branch of the Government May Decide the Fate of the Immigrants Granted Deferred Action Status?" Immigration and Human Rights Committee of the D.C. Bar International Law Committee Luncheon (July 2018)
- "Data Security and Privacy Issues in Civil Litigation," The Sedona Conference Working Group 11 Annual Meeting (March 2018)
- "Ethical Considerations for In-House Counsel Relating to the Security of Confidential Information Produced in Civil Litigation," Women, Influence & Power in Law Conference (October 2017)
- "Data Security and Privacy Issues in Civil Litigation," The Sedona Conference Working Group 11 Mid-Year Meeting (September 2017)
- "Fireside Chat: Where Companies and Activist Shareholders Have the Same Goals," Women, Influence & Power in Law Conference (September 2016)