Ashley Young is a partner in the Corporate & Financial Services Department and Co-Chair of the European Finance Department. He has approximately 20 years of experience advising clients on complex cross-border financing transactions. His practice focuses on acting for sponsors and borrowers, including private equity funds and their portfolio companies as well as credit funds at all levels of the capital structure on UK and international acquisitions, leveraged financings, restructurings and special situations transactions. In recent years Ashley has also handled multiple performing and non-performing loan acquisitions and the financings of those transactions.
Ashley is recognised by Chambers UK (2023) for Banking & Finance and as a "Notable Practitioner" in the latest edition of IFLR1000 for Capital Markets: Debt.
Ashley has advised on the following significant matters:
- Fidelis Insurance Holdings Limited on the separation of its business and launch of a Managing General Underwriter
- Bain Capital Credit on the refinancing in relation to Vitruvian Partners acquisition of Meriplex, a leading provider of managed IT, cybersecurity and SD-WAN solutions
- Bain Capital Credit on the refinancing in relation to EMK Capital’s acquisition of Outright Games, a UK videogames developer and publisher
- Freshstream in its investment in Smartwater, a leading technology-led security risk management company
- Searchlight Capital Partners in its agreement to acquire a majority stake in Celestyal Cruises
- Apex Group (a Genstar portfolio company) on its public-to-private takeover of Sanne Group Plc
- Bain Capital Credit in its acquisition of GAIL’s Bakery
- Searchlight Capital Partners on the sale of its significant stake in EOLO, an Italian broadband provider, to Partners Group
- Freshstream on the sale of leading UK holiday resort business Away Resorts to CVC Capital Partners
- BNP Paribas, Crédit Agricole CIB and Mediobanca on the refinancing of Ramsay Santé’s senior syndicated debt
- CapVest Partners on its agreement to sell portfolio company Eight Fifty Food Group to Sofina Food Inc.
- Levine Leichtman Capital Partners on its acquisition of the Creditinfo Group in partnership with its founder and management team
- Atlas Holdings in its acquisition of global contractor Permasteelisa
- Bregal Freshstream in connection with the financing aspects of a number of its portfolio companies
- Searchlight Capital Partners on its acquisition and subsequent disposal of Global Risk Partners, a leading UK based insurance brokerage business
- A world-renowned luxury brand and fashion house on various financing matters, including in connection with certain sustainability targets
- Searchlight Capital Partners on its take private of Opus Group AB, a Sweden-based technology-driven global leader in the vehicle inspection and intelligent vehicle support markets
- Levine Leichtman Capital Partners in its acquisition of SiPM, in partnership with management and its founding partners
- Bain Capital Credit in connection with its acquisition of GE Capital's Commercial Lending and Leasing portfolios in Australia and New Zealand*
- Bain Capital Credit in connection with the purchase of JP Morgan's Global Special Opportunities Group comprising debt and equity assets in North America, Europe and Asia*
- The special committee of NASDAQ-listed Focus Media in connection with a US$3.7 billion acquisition by Focus Media's chairman, The Carlyle Group, FountainVest, CITIC Capital and China Everbright. This deal was named "2013 Private Equity Deal of the Year" by China Law & Practice, "2014 Private Equity Deal of the Year" by IFLR and "2014 Global M&A deal of the Year: China private equity' by The American Lawyer*
- The 7 Days Group Holdings Limited consortium (comprising of founders, existing shareholders and sponsors including The Carlyle Group and Sequoia Capital China) on the financing aspects of their proposal to acquire the 7 Days Inn Group in a going-private transaction*
* Ashley advised on these matters prior to joining Willkie.
Prior to joining Willkie in 2019, Ashley was a partner at Kirkland & Ellis LLP.