Ashley Young is a partner in the Corporate & Financial Services Department and Finance Practice Group. He has approximately 20 years of experience advising clients on complex cross-border financing transactions. His practice focuses on acting for sponsors and borrowers, including private equity funds and their portfolio companies as well as credit funds at all levels of the capital structure on UK and international acquisitions, leveraged financings, restructurings and special situations transactions. In recent years Ashley has also handled multiple performing and non-performing loan acquisitions and the financings of those transactions.
Ashley is recognised by The Legal 500 UK (2021) for ‘Acquisition Finance’ and as a ‘Notable Practitioner’ in IFLR1000 (2020) for ‘Capital Markets: Debt’.
Ashley has advised on the following significant matters*:
- Bain Capital Credit in its acquisition of GAIL’s Bakery
- Searchlight Capital Partners on the sale of its significant stake in EOLO, an Italian broadband provider, to Partners Group
- Freshstream on the sale of leading UK holiday resort business Away Resorts to CVC Capital Partners
- BNP Paribas, Crédit Agricole CIB and Mediobanca on the refinancing of Ramsay Santé’s senior syndicated debt
- CapVest Partners on its agreement to sell portfolio company Eight Fifty Food Group to Sofina Food Inc.
- Levine Leichtman Capital Partners on its acquisition of the Creditinfo Group in partnership with its founder and management team
- Atlas Holdings in its acquisition of global contractor Permasteelisa
- Bregal Freshstream in connection with the financing aspects of a number of its portfolio companies
- Searchlight Capital Partners on its acquisition of Global Risk Partners, a leading UK based insurance brokerage business
- A world-renowned luxury brand and fashion house on various financing matters, including in connection with certain sustainability targets
- Searchlight Capital Partners on its take private of Opus Group AB, a Sweden-based technology-driven global leader in the vehicle inspection and intelligent vehicle support markets
- Levine Leichtman Capital Partners in its acquisition of SiPM, in partnership with management and its founding partners
- Bain Capital Credit on the financing of its staged acquisition of a portfolio of residential and commercial properties in Italy from Intesa (formerly forming part of Intesa's non-performing loan book) for approximately €100 million
- Bain Capital Credit on its acquisition of a €1.45 billion portfolio of non-performing business loans from Piraeus Bank
- Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, Barclays, HSBC and Lloyds Bank as initial purchasers in connection with Pinewood Studios' offering of £250 million 3 3/4% Senior Secured Notes due 2023
- Bain Capital Credit on: (a) the acquisition of a Spanish real estate portfolio from Liberbank S.A., a Spanish bank lender; (b) joint venture arrangements entered into between Bain Capital Credit and Liberbank S.A. in connection with that acquisition, and (c) the financing of that acquisition
- A consortium composed of Bain Capital and GIC on their investment in QuEST Global Services Pte. Ltd.
- Bain Capital Credit in connection with its acquisition of GE Capital's Commercial Lending and Leasing portfolios in Australia and New Zealand
- Macquarie European Infrastructure Fund on MEIF Renewable Energy UK PLC's issuance of £190 million of senior secured notes and entry into of a £20 million super senior revolving credit facility
- ABain Capital Credit in connection with the purchase of JP Morgan's Global Special Opportunities Group comprising debt and equity assets in North America, Europe and Asia
- CDW Corporation on the financing aspects of its acquisition of Kelway Limited
- Landmark Equity Partners on its acquisition of ICG European Fund 2006 LP
- J.P. Morgan, as financial adviser, in connection with SCA Group Holding B.V.'s US$1.1 billion (HK$8.8 billion) proposed voluntary conditional cash offer for shares of Vinda International Holdings. SCA Group Holdings B.V., a subsidiary of Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget SCA, is based in the Netherlands and designs, produces, and supplies packing products as well as personal care products
- The special committee of NASDAQ-listed Focus Media in connection with a US$3.7 billion acquisition by Focus Media's chairman, The Carlyle Group, FountainVest, CITIC Capital and China Everbright. This deal was named "2013 Private Equity Deal of the Year" by China Law & Practice, "2014 Private Equity Deal of the Year" by IFLR and "2014 Global M&A deal of the Year: China private equity' by The American Lawyer
- The 7 Days Group Holdings Limited consortium (comprising of founders, existing shareholders and sponsors including The Carlyle Group and Sequoia Capital China) on the financing aspects of their proposal to acquire the 7 Days Inn Group in a going-private transaction
- Citigroup, as financial adviser, in China National Pharmaceutical Group Corporation's HK$600 million possible pre-conditional voluntary conditional cash offer for Winteam Pharmaceutical Group
* Ashley advised on some of these matters prior to joining Willkie.
Prior to joining Willkie in 2019, Ashley was a partner at Kirkland & Ellis LLP.