Solomon Wifa is a partner in the Asset Management Group. A well-established investment funds lawyer with experience across a diverse range of asset classes, Solomon has represented sponsors in the formation of, and institutional investors investing in, private equity, hedge, debt, mezzanine, infrastructure, real estate, energy and venture capital funds across a variety of sectors. Solomon also has extensive experience working on a wide range of secondary transactions, secondary directs, co-investment deals, management spinouts, managed accounts and joint ventures, and is involved in transactions in China, sub-Saharan Africa, India, Turkey and Central and Eastern Europe.
Solomon's significant matters* include:
- Represented a UK-based fund manager, which provides capital to growing and established companies in the international energy sector, in a global fundraising of over US$1.1 billion for its second private equity fund
- Represented leading pan-African private investment firm in the raising of its third Africa-focused fund which hit its hard cap at US$1.1 billion, the largest Africa-focused fund ever raised
- Represented leading player in private equity ‘secondaries’ in a transaction that is believed to be the largest unsyndicated secondaries deal ever completed
- Represented leading investment banking and advisory firm in the closing of a UK energy efficiency Investment fund, a parallel vehicle that invests alongside another fund, which has been awarded a £50 million mandate by the UK Government’s Department of Business, Innovation and Skills to invest in energy efficiency infrastructure projects in the UK
- Represented a specialist investment firm in its selection as a fund manager by the UK Government
- Represented a global emerging markets private equity firm on fundraising in excess of US$3 billion including funds focused on investments in India, China, Africa and Latin America
- Represented a leading private equity firm that invests across Africa on the closing of a US$400 million pan-African private equity fund and the closing of a US$740 million successor fund
- Represented leading international private equity firm on the establishment of pledge funds of approximately US$500 million investing in emerging markets
- Advised on the establishment of a real estate hedge fund management business
- Represents sovereign wealth funds, funds of funds and other institutional investors, investing in private equity and/or hedge funds
Prior to joining Willkie, Solomon was a partner at an international law firm where he served as head of the London office.
- “Global Investment Funds: A Practical Guide to Structuring, Raising and Managing Funds,” (Globe Law and Business Limited, 2016)
*Advised on some of these matters prior to joining Willkie.