Sarah Wastler is a partner in the Litigation Department in Washington. Her practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, including securities class actions and multi-district litigation. She also has significant experience conducting worldwide internal investigations and representing corporations and individuals in civil and criminal enforcement matters. In addition, Sarah advises clients on developing Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and anti-corruption compliance programs, conducting pre-merger and third-party due diligence, and counseling clients on training and compliance with the FCPA and other anti-bribery laws. Sarah’s clients have included financial institutions, multinational corporations, technology companies, accounting firms and auditors, and individuals. Sarah also maintains an active pro bono practice.
Sarah has advised on the following significant matters:
Federal Securities and Complex Commercial Litigation
- In re Uber Technologies IPO Securities Litigation (N.D. Cal., Cal. Super.) – Representing underwriters in purported securities class action litigation filed in connection with Uber's initial public offering.
- In re GreenSky IPO Securities Litig. (S.D.N.Y., N.Y. Sup.) – Representing underwriters in purported securities class action litigation filed in connection with GreenSky's initial public offering.
- Yellowdog Partners LP v. Curo Group Holdings Corp., et al. (D. Kan.) – Represented Curo and its officers and its directors in a securities class action brought by investors challenging the adequacy of various disclosures made related to a significant product transition.
- In re Blue Apron IPO Securities Litig. (E.D.N.Y.) – Represented underwriters in purported securities class action litigation filed in connection with Blue Apron’s initial public offering.
- In re Facebook, Inc. IPO Securities & Derivative Litig. (S.D.N.Y.) – Represented Facebook, Inc. and its officers and directors in over 40 securities and derivative lawsuits filed in connection with its initial public offering.
- In re Tower Group International, Ltd. Securities Litig. (S.D.N.Y.) - Represented Tower Group International in securities class action alleging purposefully understated insurance loss reserves.
- General Electric Co. v. United States (Ct. Fed. Cl.) – Represented GE in $1 billion dispute with government concerning pension and health care costs under government contracts.
Compliance, Enforcement, and Corporate Internal Investigations
- Represented international pharmaceutical company in multi-jurisdictional FCPA investigations by the DOJ and SEC.
- Represented major publicly traded oilfield services company in FCPA investigation conducted by the DOJ and SEC.
- Represented international accounting firm and its partners in connection with securities law enforcement matters arising from SEC and PCAOB investigations.
- Developed compliance programs and conducted review and benchmarking of existing programs.
- Conducted anti-corruption diligence of targets in connection with mergers and acquisitions.
Pro Bono Representations
- Representing transgender Deputy Sheriff in Houston County, Georgia in federal court challenge to the County's maintenance of blanket exclusion medical treatment gender dysphoria from employee health plan (Co-counsel with Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund).
- Counsel to amicus curiae before United States Supreme Court in the following matters:
- Little Sisters of the Poor Saints Peter and Paul Home v. Commonwealth of PA, et al. (Brief of Professors of Criminal Law, Former State Attorneys General, and Former United States Department of Justice Officials in Support of Respondents)
- Zubik v. Burwell (Brief of Former State Attorneys General, Former United States Department of Justice Officials and Professors of Criminal Law as Amicus Curiae in Support of Respondents)
- Whole Woman's Health v. Cole (Brief of Twelve Organizations Dedicated to the Fight for Reproductive Justice as Amicus Curiae Supporting Petitioners)
- Represented a Guantanamo Bay detainee in a habeas corpus action.