Matthew Vitorla is an associate in the Corporate & Financial Services Department and a member of the Latin America Practice group. His practice centers on the global energy and infrastructure sectors, with a focus on the debt and equity financing of projects, project development and the structuring, acquisition and divestment of investments in projects, including public-private partnerships and joint ventures. Matt has represented a range of project developers, sponsors, lenders and other investors in connection with renewable and conventional power generation, transmission, transportation and other non-energy infrastructure projects. Matt also maintains an active pro bono practice focused on immigration matters.
Matt is proficient in Spanish and Portuguese and has a working knowledge of French, Italian and Catalan.
Matt has advised on the following significant matters*:
Project Finance and Other Finance Transactions
- TerraForm Power in connection with its:
- Project financing of a 200 MW wind farm in the midwestern U.S.;
- $150 million holdco term loan and letter of credit facility for three distributed generation solar portfolios;
- Holdco-level financing of a 220 MW wind farm in the midwestern U.S.; and
- Financing of its acquisition of a 300 MW distributed generation solar portfolio.
- Pattern Energy in its:
- Upsizing and amendment of its term loan and letter of credit facility for the Western Interconnect transmission line in the southwestern U.S.; and
- Construction and tax equity financing for a 220 MW Grady wind farm and the tax equity financings for the 324 MW Broadview wind farms in the southwestern U.S.
- A leading North American asset manager in connection with the ongoing project financing of a U.S. hydroelectric station.
- The Build America Bureau of the U.S. Department of Transportation as lender under the Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) credit program in connection with:
- A $1.2 billion loan to the sponsor of the Transform66 Outside the Beltway P3 in Virginia (project named “Best Transportation Project” for 2017 by P3 Hub, and “North America Roads Deal of the Year” by IJGlobal); and
- An amendment to the developer’s loan agreement in connection with a project expansion and additional senior financing for the North Tarrant Expressway Segment 3 Project near Dallas, Texas.
M&A, Joint Ventures and Cross-Border Investments
- Emera Inc. in its $959 million sale of its regulated electric transmission and distribution company in Maine.
- Arroyo Energy Group in its acquisition of operating and development-stage natural gas-fired power projects in Mexico.
- BlackRock Real Assets in the sales of its interests in the Community Wind South wind project in Minnesota and the Elk and Hawkeye wind projects in Iowa to Greenbacker Renewable Energy Company.
- InterGen in the $1.3 billion sale of its power generation and natural gas business in Mexico to Actis (deal named 2018 “Latin American M&A Deal of the Year” by IJGlobal and “Deal of the Year - Private M&A” by Latin Lawyer).
- SunEdison in the sale of solar PV projects located in Brazil, Chile, Mexico and Uruguay to Actis, comprising 578 MW of operating projects and 1,000 MW of development projects through a series of separate multifaceted, multijurisdictional restructurings and sale transactions (deal named 2017 “Restructuring of the Year” by LatinFinance and “Latin America M&A Deal of the Year” by Power Finance & Risk).
- Deepwater Wind LLC in connection with its power purchase agreement for the 90 MW South Fork offshore wind project to be constructed offshore from Long Island, New York.
- Hudson Transmission Partners, LLC in the negotiation of the operation and maintenance agreements for its converter stations and associated HVAC undersea transmission cables in the New York City area.
- A transmission developer in connection with its engineering, procurement and construction agreement and the negotiation of related subcontractor agreements for a project in the southwestern U.S.
- An electric utility in the negotiation of power hedging agreements and related documentation.
*Matt advised on these matters prior to joining Willkie.