Andrew Tromans is a partner in the London office and a member of the Corporate & Financial Services Department. He advises insurance and financial institution clients – including life and non-life insurance companies – Lloyd's vehicles, brokers and other intermediaries on a broad range of company law matters, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, outsourcings and start-ups.
Andrew's representative experience includes:*
- Ark Insurance Holdings in its $800 million equity capital investment from White Mountains
- Swiss Re on its $935 million acquisition of the business of Zurich Specialties London Limited, achieved by way of reinsurance and Part VII transfer
- Glacier Re on the sale of Glacier Insurance
- Private equity owners (HBK and Quantum) on the sale of Glacier Re to Catalina
- Sale of Olso Re to Tawa Plc
- Houston Casualty Company on the sale of Rattner Mackenzie Limited to Marsh
- Ark Syndicate Management on its $435 million MBO from Aquiline
- AmTrust on its acquisition of Sagicor at Lloyd's
- Antares on its third-party funds at Lloyd's facilities
- OP-Pohjola on its acquisition of the Finnish business of Skandia Life Limited
- A major private equity fund on its bid for a Lloyd's business
- Canopius on its bid for Omega Plc
- The sale of an Irish reinsurer to a Bermuda fund
- A major UK composite insurer on a finite reinsurance project
- The sale of an Irish reinsurer subsidiary of a Bermudan reinsurer
- Regulatory and reinsurance matters for several large captive insurers in Bermuda and Ireland
- Regulatory advice on the Test-Achats judgment for three UK life insurers and two UK motor insurers
- Advice in relation to pension buy-outs, including preparation of standard form documentation for use in bids to trustees and work on transactions for two insurers
- Development of new annuity products in the aftermath of the UK budget announcement on annuities
- The establishment of a new UK regulated broker
- The establishment of a new authorised UK reinsurer
- The sale of the entire general insurance portfolio of a composite insurer to a third-party run-off provider
- The disposal of 1992 and prior run-off business for a UK general insurer to a run-off specialist
- A joint venture between a life reinsurer and software provider
- Regulatory advice (including insurance) in relation to a car-sharing scheme
- Negotiation of custody arrangements with banks in respect of collateralisation of reinsurance obligations
* Andrew advised on these matters prior to joining Willkie.
Prior to joining Willkie in 2015, Andrew was a partner at Clyde & Co. LLP.
Andrew has been a speaker at numerous events including City Week, the Commercial Risk European Insurance Seminar and various seminars, particularly in relation to reinsurance and global insurance policies. He is a contributor on UK regulatory matters to the leading reinsurance textbook The Law of Reinsurance by O'Neil and Woloniecki.