Jane Scobie is a partner in the Tax Department. She advises clients on a broad range of complex corporate and commercial tax matters with a particular focus on private equity transactions including investments, private and public company takeovers, private fund formation and restructurings as well as other private funds issues. She also assists clients on employment taxation and share incentive arrangements.
Jane is described as “excellent” and “exactly what you want as a client” in recent editions of Chambers, and is recognized as a leading lawyer for her UK tax work in Chambers Europe 2017 and Chambers Global 2017. She is also described by clients as “knowledgeable and practical” in the 2016 edition of The Legal 500 UK, where she is recommended for corporate tax. Additionally, she was honored with a 2017 Client Choice award.
M&A and Private Equity*
- Freshstream on the sale of leading UK holiday resort business Away Resorts to CVC Capital Partners.
- CapVest Partners on its agreement to sell portfolio company Eight Fifty Food Group to Sofina Food Inc.
- NextPharma on its agreement to acquire the Ploermel and Edinburgh production sites of biotechnology company Lonza.
- One Equity Partners on the acquisition of the MERA group, a custom software developments services provider.
- Ares Management Limited on the provision of a senior and PIK financing package to refinance the Daisy Group’s existing financing arrangements and fund the buyout of certain investors in the Daisy Group.
- Quilvest Private Equity on the acquisition of global specialist recruitment firm Phaidon International.
- Shareholders of Albéa S.A. on the US$1.5 billion sale of Albéa S.A. to PAI Partners.
- I Squared Capital on its acquisition of Viridian Group Holdings Limited.
- Sun Capital portfolio company Exopack on the creation of the Coveris Group and subsequent US$1.2 billion re-financing.
- TowerBrook Capital Partners, L.P. on the acquisition by funds under its control of Independent Clinical Services (“ICS”) from private equity funds managed by affiliates of The Blackstone Group, L.P.
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan on the £365 million acquisition of Bridon Limited.
- Summit Partners on its majority investment in Independent Vetcare Holdings Limited, one of the largest private veterinary groups in the United Kingdom.
- TGI Fridays Restaurants on the sale of UK franchise of TGI Fridays to company controlled by Electra Partners.
- Searchlight Capital Partners on the acquisition of a controlling interest in Ocean Outdoor U.K. Ltd.
- Duff & Phelps Corporation on its acquisition of Kinetic Partners.
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan on the acquisition of Burton’s Biscuits Company.
- Sun Capital Partners on the acquisition of a business division of Invensys Plc., comprising the design, manufacture and supply of appliance controls (Invensys Appliance) from Schneider Electric.
- KKR on its acquisition of lifting equipment company Crosby Group and specialty material handling equipment maker Acco Material Handling Solutions from Melrose Industries Plc for around US$1 billion.
- New Mountain Capital on its £260 million acquisition of Alexander Mann Solutions.
- TowerBrook on its acquisition of AIM Aviation from Lloyds Development Capital.
- Sun Capital on the acquisition of Finlays Horticulture.
- ABRY Partners on the acquisition of Basefarm AS.
- Francisco Partners on its US$145.17 million acquisition of Kewill PLC.
- Lancashire Holdings Limited on its inaugural offering of $450 million aggregate principal amount of 5.625% Fixed-Rate Reset Junior Subordinated Notes due 2041.
- Carlyle and IDH as to U.S. and English law on the £100 million tap offering of senior secured floating rate notes due 2018 to refinance obligations under IDH’s revolving credit facility.*
- The Carlyle Group and Integrated Dental Holdings on IDH’s £400 million High Yield Notes Offering.*
- Gramercy Property Trust Inc., a real estate investment trust, on the closing of a €350 million venture targeting single-tenant net leased assets and sale-leaseback opportunities across Europe.
- Towerbrook on its sale of a 10% stake in its management company.
- H.I.G Capital in Bayside’s acquisition of Bodybell in the context of Bodybell’s restructuring.
* Jane advised on these matters prior to joining Willkie.
Prior to joining Willkie in 2019, Jane was a partner at Dechert LLP.
Jane co-authored the “United Kingdom” chapter of the Fundraising section in the fourth edition of the Private Equity Review. She is a member of the Tax Committee of The City of London Law Society.