Matthew J. Rizzo is a partner in the Corporate & Financial Services Department and the Private Equity Practice Group. Matt regularly represents private equity firms in acquisitions and dispositions of privately and publicly held businesses across a wide range of industries. He also has extensive experience representing venture capital investors and privately held companies in early-stage and follow-on investments and financings.
Matt was listed as a Recognized Practitioner (Nationwide) for Private Equity: Buyouts in Chambers USA 2019. He is also recognized in the Legal 500 for his accomplishments in the area of private equity buyouts.
Matt has been involved in many significant private equity transactions and strategic mergers and acquisitions and restructurings. Representative matters include his representation of*:
Strategic Mergers and Acquisitions and Restructurings
- CIP Capital in its acquisition of People 2.0 Global, LP, a leading business process outsourcer in the human capital services sector.
- Bedford Capital and Voalte, Inc., a pioneer and leader in real-time, mobile healthcare communications, in the sale of Voalte to global medical technology company Hill-Rom for $180 million.
- Cisive, portfolio company of CIP Capital, in its acquisition of healthcare background screening company PreCheck.
- CIP Capital in its sale of OnCourse Learning to Bertelsmann Education Group.
- CIP Capital in its investment in New Mountain Learning LLC, a leading provider of digital and blended learning solutions to the K-12, higher education and career learning markets.
- CIP Capital in its investment in Wilson Human Capital Group, Inc., a global leader of innovative talent solutions. CIP Capital's partnership enables WilsonHCG to accelerate growth and strengthen its position in global markets.
- Harvest Partners and its portfolio company EyeCare Services Partners, a vertically integrated ophthalmologic services platform in numerous acquisitions of clinics and practices.
- Tenex Capital Management in its investment in Team Select Home Care, a leading provider of post-acute healthcare services in a home-based setting.
- CIP Capital in its investment in Compliance Solutions Strategies, a leading provider of technology-enabled regulatory and compliance solutions to the financial services industry, through the merger of three leading businesses in the governance, risk management and compliance market: Advise Technologies, Ascendant Compliance Management and The MoneyMate Group.
- CIP Capital in its acquisition of Cisive, a leading provider of tech-enabled and compliance-driven human capital management and risk management solutions, and various add-on acquisitions.
- CIP Capital in its investment in Affinitiv, Inc., a leading provider of marketing and technology services to automotive manufacturers and dealerships formed through the merger of four market leading companies: DPS, Peak Performance, OneCommand and TimeHighway.com.
- Tenex Capital Management in its acquisition of Hub Pen, the second largest designer and supplier of promotional writing instruments in the United States, and various add-on acquisitions.
- Harvest Partners and Dental Care Alliance, one of the country’s largest dental support organizations, in its acquisition of Konikoff Dental Associates, a leading Virginia provider of dental services.
- Dock Square Capital in its minority investment in auto warranty company Protect My Car.
- A&M Capital Opportunities in its investment in Iron Hill Brewery.
- CIP Capital in its acquisition of Community Investors, Inc., a leading provider of SaaS solutions to the property management and residential homeowner association markets, and various add-on acquisitions.
- Tenex Capital Management in its acquisition of Progressive Employer Management Company (PEMCO), a human resource, payroll, employee benefits and workers’ compensation provider for small- and mid-sized companies, and its subsequent sale of CoAdvantage Corporation.
- Harvest Partners Structured Capital Fund in connection with several structured equity investments.
- Harvest Partners and Valet Waste, a leading national provider of value-added services to the multifamily housing industry, in connection with several strategic acquisitions.
- Harvest Partners and AxelaCare Health Solutions, a leading provider of specialty home infusion services, in connection with several strategic acquisitions, including Ambient and Sirona Infusion.
- CIP Capital in its acquisition of OnCourse Learning Corporation, a leading national provider of online training and compliance solutions to the financial services, insurance, real estate, home inspection, appraisal and IT end markets, and various add-on acquisitions.
- Harvest Partners and Packers Sanitation Services, Inc., a leading contract sanitation service provider, in connection with several strategic acquisitions, including the acquisition of DCS Sanitation Management, Inc.
- CIP Capital in its acquisition and subsequent sale of CoAdvantage Corporation, a leading Professional Employer Organization (PEO) that offers small- and mid-sized businesses a comprehensive package of outsourced human resources solutions.
- CIP Capital in its acquisition of eDriving, LLC a leading provider of online driver training solutions serving teenagers, adults, senior citizens and corporations, and various add-on acquisitions.
- CIP Capital in its acquisition of RevSpring, Inc., a leading provider of outsourced document management services and customized data solutions to the accounts receivable management industry and several strategic acquisitions, and its subsequent sale to GTCR.
- CIP Capital with respect to its investment funds and manager.
- Seal Rock Partners in connection with its acquisition of KeySource Medical Inc, a generic drug distributor.
- Britton Hill Partners in connection with several equity investments and acquisitions.
- Carbonite and its board of directors in connection with the J2 hostile tender offer and its exploration of strategic alternatives.
- A Singapore-based food manufacturing and processing company in its acquisition of a dehydrated vegetable product business.
- The DIP Lenders in $3.25 billion credit bid for, and restructuring of, a global auto parts manufacturer in chapter 11.
- A major financial institution in its acquisition of the assets of a money manager for high-net-worth individuals and institutional clients with more than $2 billion in assets under management.
* Matt advised on some of these matters prior to joining Willkie.