Ted Powers is counsel in the Corporate & Financial Services Department. Ted concentrates his practice in the areas of merger and acquisition transactions, involving public and private companies, and advises boards of directors and senior management on strategic and corporate governance matters. In the area of mergers and acquisitions, he represents acquirers, targets, sponsors, and financial advisors in public and private merger and acquisition transactions, joint ventures, strategic equity investments, and corporate control contests across multiple industries and geographies. Ted also represents both debtors and creditors in connection with asset acquisitions and dispositions and corporate matters in chapter 11 proceedings and out of court restructurings.
Ted has advised on the following significant matters:
* This representation was completed prior to joining Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Insight Venture Partners backed GFI Software in its sale of TeamViewer to Permira.
- Vet Therapeutics, Inc. in connection with its approximately $38 million agreement to be acquired by Aratana Therapeutics, Inc.*
- SoftBank Corp. in its acquisition of a 78% stake in Sprint Nextel for an enterprise value of $44.8 billion.*
- DaVita Inc. in its approximately $4.42 billion acquisition of HealthCare Partners Holdings, LLC.*
- Mitsui & Co. Ltd. in connection with its entry into a joint venture to develop and own new energy infrastructure facilities in the United States and in Mexico and in connection with its acquisition of a 30% stake in 10 wind farms and 2 solar photovoltaic power plants in Canada from GDF SUEZ Canada Inc.*
- Sumitomo Corporation and Sumitomo Corporation of America in the divestiture of Cantex, Inc.*
- Terumo Corporation in its approximately $2.6 billion acquisition of CaridianBCT from Sweden’s Gambro AB.*
- Arrendadora Ve por Más, S.A. as U.S. counsel in its approximately $70 million acquisition of ING Arrendadora, S.A. de C.V. Organización Auxiliar de Crédito.*
- Fortress Investment Group LLC in the refinancing of $1.7 billion in debt of Intrawest.*
- Endo Pharmaceuticals Holdings Inc. in its approximately $144 million tender offer for Penwest Pharmaceuticals Co.*
- MDS Inc. in its approximately $650 million divestiture of its analytical technologies business to Danaher Corporation.*
- Columbus Acquisition Corp. in its approximately $249 million proposed acquisition of Integrated Drilling Equipment Company.*
- Comtech Telecommunications, Inc. in its approximately $224 million tender offer for Radyne Corporation.*
- Lazard Frères & Co. LLC as financial advisor to Amazon.com, Inc. in connection with Amazon’s approximately $300 million tender offer for Audible, Inc.*
- CEMEX S.A.B. de C.V. in its approximately $255 million divestiture of certain assets to CRH plc in connection with its acquisition of Rinker Group Ltd.*
- An investment management firm, with approximately $3.0 billion of assets under management, in matters related to its investment in a global provider of dry bulk seaborne transportation services through the ownership and management of dry bulk vessels.*
- Avaya Inc. in its approximately $8.2 billion agreement to be acquired by a private equity consortium composed of Silver Lake Partners III, L.P. and TPG Partners V, L.P.*
- Stena AB in various matters, including in connection with tender offer and consent solicitations, an offer to purchase senior notes, and a European note offering.*
- Employers Holdings, Inc. in its conversion from a mutual insurance holding company to a stock corporation and its related $523 million initial public offering.
- Rusal in its approximately $400+ million acquisition of an alumina/bauxite mine and facility in Australia and its approximately $300+ million proposed acquisition of a mine and facility in Jamaica in the Kaiser Aluminum bankruptcy cases.*
Ted is a member of the American Bar Association and the New York State Bar Association.