Ralf Defren is a partner in the Corporate & Financial Services Department and a member of the Finance Practice Group. Ralf advises corporates and other borrowers as well as banks and financial institutions on financing transactions of all types, including secured and unsecured syndicated loans, Schuldschein loans, real estate finance, project finance/renewable energy and infrastructure. He also advises clients on capital markets, including bonds, convertibles/equity neutral, structured finance and derivatives, and disputes relating to financing, capital market products and banking related issues.
Ralf is fluent in English and German.
Ralf has advised on the following significant matters*:
- adidas AG on the issue of an equity neutral convertible bond
- CECONOMY AG on its debut syndicated loan in connection with the separation of the former METRO AG into food business and consumer electronics business
- METRO AG on its refinancing in connection with the separation of the former METRO AG into food business and consumer electronics business
- KPS Capital on the financing of the acquisition of DexKo Global Inc. including the German Alois Kober Group
- BAML on the financing of the acquisition of Galeria Kaufhof GmbH by Hudson’s Bay
- Leoni AG on its debut syndicated loan and issue of Schuldschein loans
- Tengelmann Warenhandelsgesellschaft KG on the refinancing of its syndicated loan
- Grammer AG on the private placement of a mandatory convertible bond
- Aurubis AG on the refinancing of its syndicated loan
- First State Investments on the refinancing of Erdgasversorgungsgesellschaft Thüringen-Sachsen (EVG) and Ferngas Nordbayern (FNG) through syndicated term loans and registered notes (Namensschuldverschreibungen)
- Ferrostaal group on various financings, including borrowing base and trade credit facilities
- LBBW on the financing of the acquisition of over 20,000 residential real estate units by fund(s) managed by Patrizia Alternative Investments
* Ralf advised on these matters prior to joining Willkie.
Prior to joining Willkie in 2019, Ralf was a partner at Hengeler Mueller in Frankfurt.