Ryan P. Brizek is counsel in the Asset Management Group, focusing on counseling mutual funds, closed-end funds, exchange-traded funds (ETFs), business development companies (BDCs), hedge funds and their investment advisers. He routinely advises on the formation and operation of registered investment companies (including those implementing liquid alternative investment strategies), fund governance, regulatory issues involving registered and private funds, restructurings, co-investments, contract approvals and renewals, fund and adviser compliance programs, change of control analyses and investment company status issues. Ryan frequently advises firms seeking to rely on exceptions and exemptions from regulation under the Investment Company Act and the Investment Advisers Act, and represents clients seeking no-action or exemptive relief from the SEC. He regularly counsels funds and their advisers in transactional matters, including merger and acquisition transactions, investment adviser initial public offerings, fund reorganizations and fund adoptions.
Ryan's representative matters include:
- AQR Capital Management in the organization and offering of several unique “alternative” mutual funds.
- Ares-advised, NYSE-listed closed-end funds in a fund reorganization.
- Aberdeen Asset Management in the acquisition of a multi-manager liquid alternatives mutual fund and its investment adviser, Arden Asset Management.
- Gabelli-advised, NYSE-listed closed-end funds in issuances of common and preferred stock, and rights to acquire common or preferred stock, taken down off shelf registration statements.
- Gabelli Healthcare & WellnessRx Trust, a NYSE-listed closed-end fund, in at-the-market offerings of its preferred stock.
- Two Sigma in connection with regulatory matters arising under the federal securities laws.
- Victory Capital Holdings, a U.S.-based investment adviser, in its initial public offering.
- Soros in its role as seed investor in Owl Rock, a privately offered BDC.
- Alpine Woods Capital Investors in the sale of its business advising mutual funds and closed-end funds.
- Bridgewater Associates on the formation and offering of Pure Alpha Major Markets Fund, reported by the Wall Street Journal to be the largest single hedge fund launch in history at the time.
- A major mutual fund complex in the reorganization of a multi-spoke master-feeder open-end fund into an affiliated master-feeder open-end fund.
- A major mutual fund complex in the formation and offering of several open-end funds investing primarily in ETFs to serve as investment options for separate accounts of variable annuity and variable life insurance contracts.
- A private equity firm in connection with its acquisition of a multi-boutique asset management firm.
Prior to joining Willkie, Ryan was a law clerk in the SEC’s Division of Investment Management and a licensed sales representative involved in the wholesale distribution of mutual funds and variable annuity contracts for the financial services division of a large insurance company.
Ryan is a member of the New York City, District of Columbia and American Bar Associations.