Steven J. Gartner is Chairman of the firm, a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and a partner in the Corporate & Financial Services Department. He focuses on private equity transactions and mergers and acquisitions. Steve regularly advises boards of directors, board committees and senior management on strategic issues and corporate governance. He has also represented activists in a number of proxy fights and campaigns, as well as companies defending against the activists.
Steve’s representative private equity and M&A experience includes advising:
- Interpublic Group in its $2.3 billion acquisition of data marketing company Acxiom Marketing Solutions
- Randa Accessories in its non-binding proposal to acquire Perry Ellis International, Inc.
- Glansaol, a newly launched prestige beauty and personal care company, in its acquisition of three brands: Laura Geller, Julep and Clark's Botanicals
- MedAssets in its acquisition by Pamplona Capital Management for $2.7 billion
- Special Committee of the Board of Directors of WuXi PharmaTech Inc. in its $3.3 billion management-led leveraged buyout
- Tornier N.V., a designer, manufacturer and marketer of joint replacement devices, in its $3.3 billion merger with Wright Medical Group, Inc.
- iParadigms in connection with its $752 million sale to Insight Venture partners and GIC, Singapore's sovereign wealth fund, from majority owner Warburg Pincus
- Warburg Pincus in connection with its acquisition of JHP Pharmaceuticals, LLC from Morgan Stanley Principal Investments, and Warburg Pincus and JHP in connection with Warburg Pincus’ subsequent sale of JHP to Par Pharmaceutical
- RegionalCare Hospital Partners, a Warburg Pincus portfolio company, in its agreement to be acquired by Apollo Global Management
- Representing Scotsman Industries in connection with its acquisition by ALI Group from an affiliate of Warburg Pincus
- Representing Ion Trading in connection with its acquisition of Triplepoint from Welsh Carson
- Constitutional Medical Inc. (CMI) and Warburg Pincus in connection with the sale of CMI to Roche Diagnostics
- Scotsman Industries in connection with its acquisition by ALI Group from an affiliate of Warburg Pincus
- AboveNet Inc.’s Board of Directors in connection with AboveNet’s approximately $2.2 billion agreement to be acquired by Zayo Group LLC
- MLM Information Services and Warburg Pincus in connection with Warburg Pincus’ sale of MLM to the parent company of Corporation Service Company
- Warburg Pincus in connection with its acquisition of Total Safety from DLJ Merchant Banking Partners
- Telcordia Technologies Inc., Providence Equity Partners, LLC and Warburg Pincus in the $1.15 billion sale of Telcordia to Ericsson
- MedAssets, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of The Broadlane Group
- Cobalt Holding Company in connection with its acquisition by Automatic Data Processing, Inc.
- ev3 Inc. in connection with its $2.6 billion acquisition by Covidien plc.
- Warburg Pincus in connection with its leveraged buyout (with Silver Lake) of Interactive Data Corporation
- Warburg Pincus in connection with the sale of Metavante Technologies, Inc. to Fidelity National Information Services, Inc.
- The Topps Company in connection with its sale to an investment vehicle formed by Michael Eisner's The Tornante Company LLC and private equity firm Madison Dearborn Partners, LLC
Steve has provided advice to the Boards of Directors and/or senior management of numerous companies including:
- WuXi PharmaTech Inc.
- Interpublic Group, Inc.
- AboveNet, Inc.
- The Topps Company, Inc.
- Hampshire Group, Inc.
- Medical Staffing Network Holdings, Inc.
- Party City Corporation
- Unilab Corporation
- ev3, Inc.
- MedAssets, Inc.
- Medical Resources, Inc.
- TheraTX, Incorporated
- Xomed Surgical Products
- Eagle Family Foods, Inc.
- Information Holdings Inc.
- MFS Communications Company, Inc.
Steve is a member of the American Bar Association (Section on Business Law), the New York State Bar Association, the New York City Bar Association, and the New Jersey Bar Association.
A frequent speaker and author, Steve is often quoted as an expert in publications such as The Wall Street Journal on various high-profile matters with respect to corporate and financial law.