Maria-Leticia Ossa Daza is a partner in the Corporate & Financial Services Department, focusing on general corporate and securities matters. She heads the firm’s growing Latin American practice.
Maria-Leticia was honored as one of LatinoJustice’s four 2017 “Latina Trailblazers.” She was named among Latinvex’s “Top 100 Female Lawyers” for Latin America from 2014 - 2017, and recognized for excellence in the categories of Banking & Finance and Corporate/M&A in 2017. The Legal 500 included her on its 2017 “Private Practice Powerlist,” recognizing leading US attorneys with a focus on Mexico. She was also named as one of Latin Trade Group’s 2014 “Rising Legal Stars” in 2014.
A native Colombian, Maria-Leticia began her career as an associate in Willkie’s Paris office. She is fluent in English, French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese.
Maria-Leticia’s significant matters among others, include:
- Zurich Insurance Group/Cover-More/Travel Ace/Universal Assistance: Represented Zurich Insurance Group in its agreement to acquire 19 travel assistance providers in Latin America, positioning its Cover-More Group as the leader in global travel insurance and assistance in the region.
- Zurich Insurance Group/QBE: Represented Zurich Insurance Group in the acquisition of Australian insurer QBE in Latin America for $409 million.
- Celsia SA: Represented Celsia SA, Colombia’s fourth-largest power producer, in its $840 million acquisition of stakes in seven power plants in Panama and Costa Rica from GDF Suez.
- Swiss Re: Represented Swiss Re Corporate Solutions in its acquisition of a majority stake in Compañía Aseguradora de Fianzas S.A. Confianza.
- Yildirim Group: Represent the Yildirim Group in various transactions in Latin America including the acquisition of mining projects in Colombia from CCX (part of the EBX, Eike Batista, group).
- Maurel & Prom/Tuscany International Drilling Inc.: Represented France-based oil & gas company Maurel & Prom in its acquisition of Tuscany International Drilling Inc.’s drilling activities in Africa.
- Folhamatic Group/Sage Group plc: Represented Brazil-based tax and accounting software company Folhamatic Group its sale to UK-based Sage Group.
- Private Equity Funds/Despegar.com, Inc.: Represented two private equity funds in their investments in Argentina-based Despegar.com, an online travel service with operations in North and South America.
- Maurel & Prom/Knightsbridge Investments Ltd.: Represented the French independent oil company in connection with its acquisition of Colombian and Venezuelan oil and gas assets from Knightsbridge Investments.
- Zurich Financial Services/Banco Santander: Represented Zurich Financial Services in connection with its long-term alliance in Latin America with Banco Santander S.A.
- Teva Pharmaceutical/Procter & Gamble: Represented Teva in connection with its joint venture with P&G to combine their over-the-counter consumer health care businesses in Latin America and other markets worldwide.
- Insight Venture Partners/Folhamatic Tecnologia Sistemas: Represented Insight in connection with its acquisition of Folhamatic, a tax and accounting software company based in Brazil.
- Folhamatic/IOB: Represented Folhamatic, a tax and accounting software company based in Brazil, in connection with its acquisition of IOB Informações Objetivas Publicações Jurídicas, a Brazilian tax and regulatory publisher.
- Bloomberg: Represented Bloomberg LP in joint venture transactions for electronic trading platforms and securities brokerage.
Maria-Leticia is an officer of the Mergers and Acquisitions committee of the International Bar Association and the New York City Bar Association, where she is an active member of the Inter-American Affairs Committee.
Mergers & Acquisitions (June 2015) - Maria-Leticia is quoted discussing the firm's growing and expanding Latin America practice.