Christopher J. Peters is a partner and Co-Chair of the Tax Department. He advises U.S. and non-U.S. clients on the tax aspects of structuring and implementing taxable and tax-free mergers, acquisitions, spin-offs, leveraged buy-outs and joint ventures. Chris also provides tax advice on capital markets transactions and regularly advises private equity funds and their investors on their investments and fund-related matters. He is ranked as a leading practitioner of Tax Law in New York by Chambers USA (2016).
Chris worked on the following significant matters:
- Tornier N.V., a designer, manufacturer and marketer of joint replacement devices, in its $3.3 billion merger with Wright Medical Group, Inc.
- Aviva plc’s $1.8 billion sale of its U.S. business.
- Aberdeen Asset Management’s acquisition of Artio Global Investors, Inc.
- Allstate’s sale of Lincoln Benefit Life to Resolution Life Holdings, Inc. for approximately $785m.
- Represented AREA Property Partners in its acquisition by Ares Management.
- Represented Level 3 Communications in its $3 billion acquisition of Global Crossing Ltd.
- Pearl Theraputics in its $1.15b sale to AstraZeneca
- Men’s Wearhouse in its acquisition of Joseph Abboud.
- Warburg Pincus, Insight Venture Partners, Aquiline Capital Partners and Friedman Fleischer & Lowe on numerous acquisitions and dispositions of their portfolio companies.
- Teva Pharmaceuticals on its acquisitions of IVAX Corporation ($7.4 billion) and Barr Pharmaceuticals ($8.9 billion).
- Hallmark Cards, Inc. on its $1.162b debt recapitalization.
- Level 3 Communications in numerous acquisitions and divestures, including its acquisitions of:
- Global Crossing Ltd ($3b)
- Broadwing Corporation ($1.4b)
- TelCove, Inc. ($1.1b)
Chris is a member of the New York State Bar Association Section of Taxation.