Shaimaa M. Hussein is an associate in the Litigation Department. Her practice focuses primarily on the representation of multinational corporations and financial institutions in complex commercial litigation and enforcement actions, including government investigations under the federal securities laws, litigation arising out of mergers and acquisitions and other corporate control transactions, and class action litigation. Shaimaa has represented both public and private companies in various sectors including finance, media and consumer retail. Shaimaa also acted as an in-house advisor to Goldman Sachs during a secondment to the company’s Anti-Bribery Group.
In 2017, Shaimaa was recognized by The American Lawyer as “Litigator of the Week” for her role in reuniting a 12-year-old Iranian child with her mother in the U.S. to proceed with vision-saving surgery, after the child had previously been denied entry as a result of President Trump’s Executive Order barring entry by Iranian nationals.
Shaimaa was recognized by the NYSBA as an Empire State Counsel® honoree for her pro bono contributions in 2015.
Shaimaa has advised on the following significant matters:
- Litigation counsel to Third Point in connection with a number of corporate transactions, proxy contests, and legal actions including Third Point’s settlement with Sotheby’s for three board seats and waiver of its poison pill, and a successful proxy contest against Yahoo! that culminated in resignation of Scott Thompson, Yahoo!’s former Chief Executive Officer, and attainment of a 5.8% stake in the company
- Advised The Men’s Wearhouse, Inc. in both shareholder litigation and antitrust clearance in connection with its $1.8 billion acquisition of competitor Jos. A. Bank
- Legal counsel to a number of investment management firms and other financial institutions in connection with domestic and international government investigations
- Litigation counsel to multinational news and media company in connection with class action suits alleging violations of labor laws
- Representation of Rural/Metro Corporation, a Warburg Pincus portfolio company, in confirmation of plan of reorganization less than five months after its Chapter 11 filing
- Advised Rockwood Holdings, Inc. on $1.98 Billion sale of its advanced international ceramics business, CeramTec
- Representation of former J.P. Morgan employee in connection with government investigations by DOJ, CFTC, EC, FSA and CCB into alleged manipulation of LIBOR by panel banks
- In re Artio Global Securities Litigation (represent Aberdeen Asset Management in settlement of class action litigation challenging $175 million acquisition of Artio Global) (New York, Del)
- Dugan et al. v. Towers, Perrin, Forster & Crosby, Inc. (represent former employee-shareholders in $10 million settlement of class action suit challenging merger between Towers Perrin Forster & Crosby Inc. and Watson Wyatt Worldwide Inc.)
Shaimaa also participates in the following pro bono programs:
- Representation of indigent individuals facing federal criminal charges through the Criminal Justice Act Panel, including successful withdrawal of federal indictment for client accused of participating in elaborate mortgage fraud operation
- Representation of women in contested divorce proceedings through inMotion, a non-profit organization that provides pro bono legal services for indigent women and children
- “Associate Solicitor” for Legal Aid Society’s Associates Campaign to raise funds to assist in providing comprehensive citywide and neighborhood-based civil legal assistance