Elizabeth B. Bannigan is special counsel in the Corporate and Financial Services Department of Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP in New York. Elizabeth’s practice focuses on merger and acquisition transactions in the insurance industry, complex reinsurance transactions and insurance regulatory matters. Elizabeth’s practice includes advising insurers, reinsurers and financial buyers in the purchase and sale of insurance companies and blocks of insurance and reinsurance business, the structure and regulation of alternative risk financing mechanisms and complex reinsurance arrangements, including insurance securitizations, loss portfolio transfers and insurance-linked securities and the regulation of insurance holding company systems.
- Represented MetLife, Inc. in its $16 billion acquisition of American Life Insurance Company (ALICO) from AIG
- Represented Old Mutual Plc in its sale of Old Mutual Financial Life Insurance Company to Harbinger Group
- Represented Farmers Group, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of AIG’s Personal Auto Group, which includes 21st Century Insurance Co.
- Represented MBIA in its recent restructuring transaction
- Represented Aegon in its acquisition of the credit insurance business of AIG
- Representing General Electric Company in its sale of GE Insurance Solutions to Swiss Reinsurance Company
- Represented MetLife, Inc. in its $11.8 billion acquisition of Travelers Life & Annuity
- Represented GE Capital in the spin-off of its life insurance operations
- Represented Great-West in the sale of its healthcare business to Cigna
- Represented insurance companies in private finance transactions designed to relieve the reserve strain caused by Regulation XXX and Regulation AXXX, including MetLife and Sun Life
- Represented clients in connection with the structure and regulation of catastrophe and morbidity bonds
* Elizabeth advised on these matters at her prior firm.