Pierre Ullmann is a partner in the Tax Department. He advises public and private companies on the French and international tax law aspects of mergers & acquisitions, combinations, restructurings and debt financing. He has a specific experience on transactions involving construction and real estate investment projects, particularly on behalf of foreign investors and foreign funds trough the use of French REITs equivalent or standard acquisition vehicles. Pierre regularly assists clients in tax litigations and negotiation of rulings with the French tax authorities and advises individuals on income tax, wealth tax and estate tax issues.
Prior to joining Willkie, Pierre led the tax law practices in the Paris offices of Brandford Griffith & Associates (2003-2006) and at Jones Day (1990-2003). He was also previously a senior partner at Bureau Francis Lefebvre (1983-1990) and a partner at Goldsmith, Devolvé & Associates (1975-1983).
Pierre is a member of the International Tax Association (IFA) and the International Bar Association, and is a member of the Board of Directors of the Institute of French Tax Lawyers (IACF). He previously served as an assistant professor of the doctoral program of tax law, HEC Faculté de Droit de Paris (1990-1999), and frequently addresses prominent seminars and conferences on tax law.
- 2009: "Aspects fiscaux des Fusions Transfrontalières des Sociétés de Capitaux," Journal des Sociétés (following the implementation in 2008 of the EU Directive 2005/56/CE on transnational mergers).
- 2002: "the Use of French Holding Companies by Multinational groups," The International Tax Journal, Fall 2002.
- 1993: Coordinator of the Chapter relating to transfer pricing of the White Paper on French International Tax issues issued by the CNPF (Confederation of French Enterprises).
SELECTED SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- 2012: IACF Conference: "Impact of Double Tax Treaties and E.U. Directives on the French Tax Treatment of Withholding Taxes and Tax Credits."
- 2008: IACF Conference: "French tax treatment of transfer of seats of companies into France or outside France, with or without transfer of assets."
- 2006: IACF Conference: "The Judge faced to Tax litigation: Interaction between the National Judge and the European Judge."
- 2003: IACF Conference: "Use of Sociétés de Personnes and Partnerships in the national and international context."
- 2003: ABA Spring Conference, Los Angeles: "Acquisition of a French Public Company by a United States Buyer; Deal Structures and Tax Considerations."
Chambers Europe (2018) ranks Pierre among the leading individuals practicing Tax Law in France.