Robert A. Rizzo is a partner in the Corporate & Financial Services Department, Private Equity Practice. Robert has concentrated his practice on structuring and negotiating complex business transactions for private equity and corporate clients, including domestic and international mergers, acquisitions, leveraged buyouts and recapitalizations, spinoffs, formation of private equity funds, venture and growth capital investments, debt and equity financings. He also regularly represents portfolio companies of private equity clients with respect to all their corporate needs including acquisitions and financings.
Robert has advised on the following significant matters:
- Represent Insight Venture Partners in connection with a number of transactions and related matters, including acquisitions of or investments in Ministry Brands, Campaign Monitor, Tenable Network Security, E2open, Spothero, Cloudbolt Software, Drilling Info, Illuminate Education.
- Represent Court Square Capital in connection with a number of transactions and related matters.
- Represent Cartesian Capital Group LLC in connection with a number of transactions and related matters.
- Represent Compass Partners in connection with a number of transactions and related matters.
- Represent Aquiline Capital Partners in connection with a number of transactions and related matters, including Togetherwork (f/k/a Omega Financial), Wellington Insurance Group and LenderLive Network.
- Represented GSO Capital, a lending affiliate of The Blackstone Group, in providing equity financing in connection with the acquisition of Belk, Inc. by Sycamore Partners.
- Represented Vatera Healthcare Partners in the consortium acquisition of a controlling stake in Alvogen.
- Represented CapStreet Group in connection with a number of transactions and related matters, including the combination of T.F. Hudgins Inc. and Allied Reliability, Inc. and Creative Resource Group.
- Represented Riverstone Holdings LLC in connection with its combination Legend Production Holdings business with KKR portfolio company, Premier Natural Resources, to create Trinity River Energy.
- Represent The Sterling Group in connection with a number of transactions, including Safe Fleet and numerous add-on acquisitions.
- Represented Rockefeller Financial Services in the formation of Rockefeller Capital Management, an independent financial services firm backed by Viking Global Investors.
- Represented Colony Capital, Inc. in connection with several matters, including its $17 billion merger of equals with NorthStar Asset Management Group Inc. and NorthStar Realty Finance Corp. to create Colony NorthStar, Inc., with $58 billion of assets under management.
- Represented Special Committee of the Board of Directors of National Interstate Corporation in its $660 million merger with Great American Insurance Company, a subsidiary of American Financial Group, Inc.
- Represent Pangaea Logistics Solutions Ltd (NASDAQ: PANL) in connection with a number of transactions.
- Represented Montreux Equity Partners in connection with its investment in moksha8.
- Represented General Atlantic in connection with $1.2 billion divestiture of a controlling interest in Grupo Qualicorp, a Brazilian heath care plan administrator, to The Carlyle Group.*
Represented Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe in connection with a number of transactions, including acquisitions and acquisition financings.*
Represented Tailwind Capital Partners in connection with a number of transactions.*
Represented KPS Capital Partners in connection with acquisition of Waterford Wedgwood Royal Doulton, a manufacturer of high quality china, porcelain and glass.*
Represented Catterton Partners in connection with multiple transactions, including acquisitions, restructurings (including Catterton’s repurchase of a portfolio company’s assets in connection with a pre-packaged Chapter 11 filing through a credit-bid alongside Sun Capital Partners in a 363 sale), and various portfolio company debt refinancings.*
Represented FdG Associates in connection with several transactions, including acquisitions, recapitalizations, and acquisition financings and portfolio company debt refinancings.*
Represented Saw Mill Capital in connection with an acquisition of a full service packaging solutions company.*
Represented DLJ Merchant Banking Partners, as sponsor of Frontier Drilling ASA, an oil and gas exploration company, in connection with $2.6 billion acquisition by Noble Corporation.*
Represented Allianz Capital Partners in a consortium with the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority and Morgan Stanley Infrastructure Partners in connection with privatization of the City of Chicago’s metered parking system.*
Represented GSI Commerce, Inc. in connection with $2.4 billion merger with eBay Inc.*
Represented Ruby Tuesday, Inc. in connection with defense from and negotiations with activist shareholder, Becker Drapkin Management.*
Represented Pacific Life Insurance Company in connection with acquisition of J.P. Morgan’s Pension Advisory Group.*
Represented Digicel Group in various transactions, including in connection with its acquisition of Haitian mobile operator, Voilà.*
Represented Citigroup Inc. in connection with a number of transactions, including acquisitions, various matters for Citi Global Enterprise Payments (mobile phone, “near-field-communications” payments), and Dodd-Frank related regulatory matters.*
Represented The Reader’s Digest Association, Inc in connection with the 363 sale of CompassLearning, Inc., an education software company identified in RDA’s Chapter 11 filing as a non-core asset.*
* This representation was completed prior to joining Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP.