Thomas Jones is a partner and Chair of the Communications & Media Department. Thomas regularly represents the leading competitive carriers in the country in competition policy, merger review, and enforcement proceedings before the FCC. Thomas also advises companies on compliance with FCC regulations.
Thomas’ representative FCC policy matters include representing competitive carriers in
- the FCC’s comprehensive review of the transition to IP technology
- the FCC’s comprehensive review of last-mile access for business broadband
- the FCC’s comprehensive review of intercarrier compensation and universal service
- the FCC comprehensive review of pole attachment regulations
Thomas' representative merger review matters include representing competitive carriers in the FCC’s review of
- CenturyLink's acquisition of Level 3
- Level 3's acquisition of tw telecom
- AT&T’s acquisition of BellSouth
- Verizon’s acquisition of MCI
- SBC’s acquisition of AT&T
Thomas frequently represents competitive carriers before the FCC in enforcement disputes with incumbent carriers regarding, among other things, the rates, terms, and conditions applicable to last mile business broadband services and interconnection.
Thomas' representative compliance counseling matters include counseling companies regarding
- FCC and FTC telemarketing rules
- FCC disability access rules
- FCC intercarrier compensation rules
- FCC universal service rules
Thomas has served as co-chairman of the Federal Communications Bar Association’s Common Carrier Practice Committee. In 2019, he was selected to serve on Law360’s Telecommunications Editorial Advisory Board.