Jeff Goldfarb is a partner in the Corporate & Financial Services Department and Vice-Chair of the Finance Practice Group. He has experience in complex debt transactions for borrowers and lenders, with a special emphasis on leveraged acquisition financings and debt restructuring. He has extensive experience representing private equity funds and their portfolio companies, public corporations, hedge funds and investment banks in connection with syndicated loans, high-yield bonds, distressed debt and other debt instruments.
Jeff served as contributing editor for the 2021 edition of Acquisition Finance, and co-authored the comprehensive chapter for the United States.
Jeff’s recent matters include acting as counsel for:
- Genstar Capital and its portfolio company Apex Group in the financing for Apex Group’s acquisition of Banco Modal’s Alternative Fund Administration business in Brazil (MAF).
- Genstar Capital and its portfolio company Apex Group in the financing for the acquisition by Apex of FundRock Management Company SA and FundRock Partners Ltd.
- OSG Billing Services in the financing for its acquisition of Diamond Communication Solutions.
- Special Committee of the Board of Directors of WuXi PharmaTech Inc. in its $3.3 billion management-led leveraged buyout.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. in its $33.75 billion acquisition financing commitment in support of its acquisition of Allergan’s Generic Pharmaceuticals business (comprising $27 billion in loans under a senior unsecured Bridge Loan Credit Facility and $6.75 billion in loans under an Equity Bridge Loan Credit Facility).
- International liquids and bulk terminaling company Zenith Energy (backed by Warburg Pincus) in connection with the acquisition financing for its purchase of the Bantry Bay Terminal, an eight million barrel petroleum storage facility in West Cork, Ireland.
- Private equity sponsor Genstar Capital in the financing for its pending leveraged buyout of Case Interactive Media, Inc./Asset International.
- An ad hoc group of hedge fund investors in the solvent recapitalization and sale of a private equity-held pharmaceutical research company.
- A group of hedge fund investors in the acquisition of a bridge manufacturer via strict foreclosure on its secured debt.
- The Men’s Wearhouse in the $2.2 billion financing for its acquisition of Jos. A. Bank Clothiers.
- Victory Capital Management, a portfolio company of private equity sponsor Crestview Capital, in the financing for its leveraged acquisition of Munder Capital Management.
- Private equity sponsor Riverstone Holdings in the financing of its acquisition of $455 million of oil and gas assets in the Williston Basin of North Dakota.
- Private equity sponsor Warburg Pincus in the financing of its leveraged buyout of Total Safety.
- Private equity sponsors Aquiline Capital Partners and Genstar Capital in the financing for their $412.5 million leveraged buyout of Genworth Financial’s wealth management business.
- Retailer Hudson’s Bay Company in the financing for its $2.9 billion acquisition of Saks Fifth Avenue.
- Bank of America in the prepetition financing, debtor-in-possession financing and exit financing of Patriot Coal and Fairpoint Communications.
- Private equity portfolio company PlayPower, Inc., in its out-of-court restructuring, which was named “Restructuring Deal of the Year” at the International M&A Advisor Awards.
- Private-equity sponsors Warburg Pincus, Aquiline Capital Partners, Riverstone Holdings, Insight Venture Partners, Friedman Fleischer and Lowe, Calvert Street Partners, The CapStreet Group, The Sterling Group, Dubin Clark, Buckingham Capital and CAI Private Equity in connection with the debt financing activities of their portfolio companies.
- A group of hedge funds in connection with its successful $3.25 billion credit bid for Delphi Corporation and over $1 billion in post-emergence financing for Delphi.
Jeff is a member of the Section of Business Law of the American Bar Association and a member of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York. He is a past member of the Advisory Board for Law360's section on Corporate Finance.
Jeff’s article (co-written with partners William Hiller and Michael Zinder) "The New Normal in Acquisition Finance Commitments" was published in Law 360 (Bankruptcy Law; Finance Law) on August 27, 2010.