Grégoire has acted on more than 40 international arbitration proceedings, both ad hoc (including UNCITRAL) and under the auspices of the ICC, the LCIA, the AAA and the OHADA, in relation to disputes involving M&A transactions, investments, joint ventures and commercial contracts in general.
- three Hong Kong companies in three related ICC arbitration proceedings relating to the sale of a wind energy business in Asia (claims in excess of US$ 1 billion) – such arbitration gave rise to a successful ICC emergency arbitration procedure (ongoing)
- a French pharmaceutical laboratory in an ICC arbitration relating to the performance of a share purchase agreement (ongoing)
- an Italian investment fund in a successful ICC arbitration in connection with the sale of a leading French department store
- a tobacco company in an ICC arbitration regarding the termination of a distribution agreement in Egypt; the claimants sought damages of more than US$1 billion (successfully settled)
- an African sovereign state in an ICC arbitration relating to the execution of an oil concession agreement, for claims in excess of US$70 million (successfully settled)
- the Russian Federation in:
- three simultaneous UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings initiated by a company incorporated in the Isle of Man and two Cypriot companies as former shareholders of Yukos Oil Company; plaintiffs claimed to have been subject of unfair treatment and expropriation in violation of the Energy Charter Treaty on Investments
- an arbitration conducted under the auspices of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce and initiated by another former shareholder of Yukos Oil Company claiming to have been expropriated on the basis of the Bilateral Investment Treaty between the United Kingdom and the Soviet Union
- a group of steel companies in an UNCITRAL arbitration against the Czech Republic related to the breach of the Bilateral Investment Treaty between the Netherlands and the Czech Republic
- a French pharmaceutical group on several ICC proceedings relating to retail contracts and the construction of a vaccine manufacturing facility, for claims in excess of €150 million
- a United Arab Emirates telecommunications company in an ICC arbitration against a mobile telephone operator and license-holder in Burkina Faso, for claims totaling €80 million
Grégoire also regularly represents clients in the context of enforcement and/or challenge of arbitral awards before the Court of Appeal of Paris.
- a United Arab Emirates company in the challenge on an ICC arbitration award (ongoing)
- an Indian company in the exequatur and subsequent challenge on an ICC arbitration award (ongoing)
Grégoire has advised a large number of companies in the context of M&A transactions and shareholders disputes.
- a leading French shoes manufacturer in a multibillion-dollar post-M&A dispute (successfully settled);
- a leading French insurance company in the context of the enforcement of a shareholders’ agreement (successfully settled)
- a UK investment fund in the context of a dispute with the company Altergaz before the Commercial Courts in Paris and Nanterre, in relation to an investment worth €60 million (minority shareholder dispute)
Grégoire has also handled several follow-on damage claims of antitrust violations.
White-collar Crime / Compliance / International Investigations
Grégoire regularly advises and represents clients in complex compliance and international enforcement matters.
- a French listed company in several internal investigations involving allegations of fraud or compliance issues
- a leading furniture manufacturer in conducting an internal investigation involving allegations of improper data collection on employees and customers and related actions of the French risk management department
He also has considerable experience in securities litigation.
- a former trader in proceedings initiated by the French Financial Markets Authority and parallel criminal proceedings further to accusations of insider trading on the Geodis and Ilog stocks
- a former trader in proceedings initiated by the French Financial Markets Authority and parallel criminal proceedings further to accusations of insider trading on the Pechiney stock
- a former member of the Airbus executive committee in proceedings launched by the French Financial Markets Authority on the exercise of EADS stock options
Grégoire has also advised many corporate clients and directors on matters relating to corporate criminal law.
Grégoire lectures on international commercial litigation at La Sorbonne and Sciences Po Paris.
* Grégoire advised on these matters prior to joining Willkie.