Christopher J. St. Jeanos is a partner in the Litigation Department, and Co-Chair of the firm’s Insurance & Reinsurance: Dispute Resolution and Counseling Practice Group. Chris, an experienced trial lawyer who has tried numerous cases and arbitrations to verdict, focuses on the representation of entities in all aspects of the insurance and reinsurance industry, with a particular focus on the representation of insurance brokers. Chris also regularly counsels insurance brokers in connection with regulatory and sanctions related issues, and provides advice relating to insurance coverage for cyber issues.
Insurance and Reinsurance Litigation:
- Successful defense of national insurance broker in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, in a precedent-setting case involving the concept of “special relationship”
- Successful defense of fiduciary duty claims against insurance brokers in California, New York, Florida, and Missouri
- Successful defense of $1 billion indemnity action against insurance broker brought in New York state court, relating to placements in Lloyd’s market
- In re Insurance Brokerage Antitrust Litigation – Counsel in federal Multi-District litigation arising out of government investigations of insurance industry
- Nationwide Policyholder Litigation – Counsel in cases brought throughout the United States alleging violations of federal and state law by insurance companies and brokers
- Political Risk Litigation – Lead counsel in trial concerning political risk insurance
- Successful defense of $50 million professional negligence claim against insurance broker in federal court in Florida, which included collection of attorneys’ fees from plaintiff
- Successful defense of $100 million arbitration against a German reinsurance company in connection with an international retrocessional reinsurance dispute
Insurance and Reinsurance Regulatory/Sanctions:
- Advising both U.S. and U.K. insurance and reinsurance brokers in connection with compliance with U.S. sanctions
- Advising both U.S. and U.K. insurance and reinsurance brokers in connection with regulatory compliance, including matters relating to the NYS DFS and ELANY
- Represented insurer in connection with hearing before DFS relating to demutualization and subsequent merger
- Represented insurer in connection with potential hearing before Delaware Department of Insurance in connection with potential merger
Chris served as a law clerk to the Honorable Denny Chin while Judge Chin was a United States District Court Judge in the Southern District of New York. Judge Chin is currently a judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Chris is a member of the American Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association and the Association of the Bar of the City of New York. In 2018, he was selected to serve on Law360’s Insurance Editorial Advisory Board.