William H. Rooney is a partner in Willkie’s Litigation Department and Co-Chair of the Antitrust & Competition Practice Group. He practices all aspects of antitrust law, including cross-border matters, before the antitrust enforcement agencies and the courts. Bill regularly handles mergers, investigations, litigations, and counseling under the United States antitrust law and collaborates with Willkie’s European competition team in cross-border matters.
- Constantia/Multi -Color Corporation
- Bonduelle/ Ready Pac Foods
- Dormakaba/Stanley Black and Decker
- The Men’s Wearhouse/Joseph A. Bank
- Hudson’s Bay Co./Saks Fifth Avenue
- Seven Mile Capital Partners/Microporous
- Bloomberg L.P./Bureau of National Affairs (BNA)
- Teva/Cephalon (Europe)
- Teva/Procter & Gamble (Europe –- OTC Joint Venture)
- Teva/Lonza (Europe -- Biosimilar Joint Venture)
- TomTom/Tele Atlas
- GameStop/Electronics Boutique
- CompUSA/Computer City
- Loral/Lockheed Martin
- Mattel/Fisher Price
Investigations and Litigation
- Numerous agency antitrust investigations in the United States and Europe (confidential clients and subject matters)
- High tech investigations in Europe, the United States, and Canada
- Represent mining company in connection with joint venture
- US v. Third Point LLC
- In re Modafinil Antitrust Litigation
- Apotex v. Teva Pharmaceuticals et al
- In re Nifedipine Antitrust Litigation
- In re ACR Tube Litigation
- In re Copper Tubing Antitrust Litigation
- Private Equity Antitrust Litigation
- In re Insurance Brokerage Antitrust Litigation
- In re Interchange Fee Antitrust Litigation
- American Express v. Visa USA et al.
- Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc. v. FDA
- Organon Sanofi-Synthelabo LLC v. Aventis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- In re Nabumetone Antitrust Litigation
- In re Options Exchanges Antitrust Litigation
- Coalition for Level Playing Field Robinson-Patman Litigation
- Intervest v. Bloomberg
- Toys "R" Us Antitrust Litigation
- Salomon Brothers Antitrust Litigation
Bill serves on the Executive Committee of the Antitrust Section of the New York State Bar Association and regularly contributes to the thought leadership of the bar by organizing and participating in conferences on contemporary antitrust issues. Bill is a former Chair of the Antitrust Section of the NYSBA and of the Committee on Antitrust and Trade Regulation of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York. He is also a former Vice-Chair of Economics Committee of the Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association.
In 2016, Bill was honored with the William T. Lifland Service Award by the New York State Bar Association’s Antitrust Section in recognition of his contributions and accomplishments in the field.
Bill is listed in numerous legal publications, including Chambers USA (from 2006 forward, currently Band 2), Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders - Competition (2018), The International Who's Who of Competition Lawyers & Economists (Global Competition Review 2007-2017), New York Super Lawyers -- Antitrust (Metro Edition 2007-2017), The Best Lawyers in America (2014-2017), and LMG Life Sciences (2012-2017), Competition and Antitrust Expert Guide (2018). In 2015, Bill served on Law360’s Competition Editorial Advisory Board.