Marc Abrams is a partner and Co-Chair of the Business Reorganization & Restructuring Department. He has served as a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and is a member of its European Committee, in which capacity he is currently co-directing the firm’s London based restructuring practice. Marc has been instrumental, principally on behalf of debtors, in several complex chapter 11 cases and non-judicial restructurings. He also has extensive experience representing creditors’ committees and groups, opportunistic investors, and lenders. Marc has also maintained a substantial cross-border practice involving foreign insolvency regimes and related cases under the Bankruptcy Code, including chapter 15 cases.
Marc’s representative in-court and out-of-court restructuring matters include:
- Adelphia Communications Corp.
- Alliance Entertainment Corp.
- Allis-Chalmers Corp.
- AMF Bowling Worldwide, Inc.
- APS, Inc.
- Community Newspapers, Inc.
- Days Inn of America, Inc.
- Integrated Resources, Inc.
- Journal Register Company
- L.M. Sandler & Sons, Inc.
- LandAmerica Financial Group, Inc.
- Mosler, Inc.
- Orion Pictures, Inc.
- Petrie Retail, Inc.
- Phoenix Steel Corp.
- Prime Hospitality Corp.
- RathGibson, Inc.
- Schwinn Cycling & Fitness, Inc.
- Starter Corp.
- Sunterra Corp.
- The LTV Corp.
- The Multicare Companies
- The Weinstein Company
- USinternetworking, Inc.
- Woodward & Lothrop, Inc.
Marc's representative cross-border matters include:
- Vivarte (ad hoc lender committee and anchor investors in the largest-ever fully consensual French restructuring; named as a 2015 Am Law Global Legal Awards “Deal of the Year”)
- Angiotech Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (chapter 15 on behalf of the company)
Arctic Glacier International, Inc. (chapter 15, pending; on behalf of CCAA Monitor)
Crystallex International Corp. (chapter 15, pending; on behalf of the company)
Great Basin Gold (chapter 15, on behalf of CCAA Monitor)
- Maple Bank (Canadian Branch) (WVRA liquidation, pending; on behalf of Canadian liquidation)
- Pacific Exploration & Production Corporation (chapter 15, pending; on behalf of CCAA Monitor)
Nortel Networks, Inc. (pending; on behalf of UK Pension Schemes and UK PPF)
- Walter Energy Canada, Inc. (pending; on behalf of CCAA Monitor)
Readers’ Digest Association, Inc. (on behalf of UK PPF)
AMF Bowling (pending; on behalf of UK PPF)
Teksid, Inc. (out-of-court restructuring involving operating assets located in 12 countries)
Marc’s representative transactional side matters include:
- Cengage Learning, Inc. (pending; Investigations Counsel)
- Delphi Corporation (on behalf of the Ad Hoc DIP Lender Committee)
- General Growth Properties (on behalf of Brookfield Asset Management as cornerstone investor)
- Next Wave Communications (on behalf of Northrop Grumman)
- Residential Capital, LLC (on behalf of the Ad Hoc Committee)
- Resort Finance America, LLC (on behalf of GMAC)
- Rothschild, Inc. (as financial advisor to a major government-controlled company)
- Sea Containers Services, Ltd. (on behalf of the Official Committee of UK Pension Schemes)
- TOUSA, Inc. (pending; on behalf of the major debtholder)
Marc serves as a contributing editor for Collier on Bankruptcy, the preeminent treatise on bankruptcy law. Marc has authored or co-authored numerous published articles, including "Setting up the Sale: Bankruptcy 2015 – Views from the Bench," Best of ABI 2015: The Year in Business Bankruptcy, “Second Circuit Articulates the Standard for the Extinguishment of Liens Under a Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Pan,” Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law (November/December 2015), "Third Circuit Holds That Claims Are Disallowable Under Section 502(d) of the Bankruptcy Code No Matter Who Holds Them," Metropolitan Corporate Counsel (January 2014),"Exceptional Results Through Cross-Border Coordination," 24 Comm. Insol. R. 49-57 (June 2012), "Implications of the "Bad Faith Filing" Decision in GGP’s Bankruptcy Proceeding", BNA, Inc., Real Estate Law & Industry (2009), and "Key Rulings from the Delaware Bankruptcy Court’s Rejection of Washington Mutual’s Plan of Reorganization," Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, Vol. 7, Number 8 (2011). Two of Marc’s articles are published in the Best of ABI 2012: The Year in Business Bankruptcy, including "Confirmation Roundtable: Planning for an Exit and Other Developments in Confirmation Jurisprudence" and "Tranche Warfare II: Multifaceted Intercreditor Disputes." Marc is the co-author of the LexisNexis Practitioner’s Guide to Chapter 15 Bankruptcies, an extensive chapter in the Lexis Bankruptcy Portal. He lectures frequently, including at conferences sponsored by the American College of Investment Counsel, the American Bankruptcy Institute, Valcon, the American College of Bankruptcy, National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges and the Association of the Bar of the City of New York. He is also a certified mediator for the U.S. Bankruptcy Courts for the Southern District of New York and the District of Delaware.